Awards & Honors
Science & Technology
Business & Economy
- The United Nations Charter has been translated into Sanskrit for the first time since coming into force in 1945.
- The translation work was promoted by the National Mission for Manuscripts in India and authored by Dr Jitendra Kumar Tripathi.
- The Electric Daisy Carnival, one of the biggest electronic music festivals in the world, will be held in India for the first time this November.
- Slated to be held on November 12 and 13 in Delhi, it will feature performances by Indian and international DJs.
- Note : It has previously been held in various US cities, Japan, Brazil and the UK.
- India has officially received certificates from World Health Organisation (WHO), recognizing the elimination of Yaws and Maternal and Neonatal Tetanus (MNT) from the country.
- The certificates were presented to Union Health Minister J P Nadda at the 69th Session of the WHO Regional Committee for South-East Asia Region held in Colombo, capital of Sri Lanka.
- Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi today met Japanese Prime Minister Shinzō Abe at Vientiane, Laos on sidelines of 14th ASEAN India and 11th East Asia Summits.
- The Karnataka government today decided to abide by the Supreme Court's directive to release 15,000 cusecs (cubic feet per second) of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu for 10 days.
- Karnataka will release water to Tamil Nadu despite severe hardship for water in the state, said CM Siddaramaiah.
- The Union Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas has launched #Gas4India campaign, aimed at promoting the use of natural gas in the country.
- It was launched by Union Minister of State (I/C) for Petroleum and Natural Gas Dharmendra Pradhan in New Delhi.
- The Department of Telecom (DoT) has created ‘Urja Mitra Helpline’ through which customers can get information on power outages from distribution companies by dialling 14401.
- It will be used to send information through voice calls and SMSes to customers, a DoT notification read.
- Further, this pan-India helpline is a mandatory service to be provided by all telecom operators.
- The Union Government has approved 450 crore rupees for Madhya Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh and Sikkim under the Swadesh Darshan scheme.
- It was approved by the Union Tourism Ministry for the development of Heritage circuit in Madhya Pradesh and Uttarakhand, Ramayana Circuit in Uttar Pradesh, North East Circuit in Sikkim and Coastal Circuit of Tamil Nadu.
- According to a facility launched today, Drivers would not be required to carry their driving licence and registration certificate, but can store them in 'DigiLocker', the secured national digital locker system.
- The soft copy can then be verified by the traffic police and law enforcement agencies when required.
- Note : DigiLocker helps in consolidating all important documents in digital form.
- India and Chile today signed an agreement to expand their Preferential Trade Agreement, which was signed in March 2006 and came into force from August 2007.
- Under the expansion, India will get duty concession of 30-100% for 1,798 products from the existing 296.
- Similarly, India has extended concessional rates of 10-100% on 1,031 products to Chile under the agreement.
Awards & Honors
- Indian film Thithi has won the best film award at the first BRICS Film Festival concluded in New Delhi.
- Complete List of Awards in BRICS Film Festival 2016 :
- Best Film : Thithi (India).
- Best Director : Huo Jianqi (China).
- Best Actor : Thabo Rametsi (South Africa).
- Best Actress : Yulia Peresild (Russia).
- Special Jury Award : Brazil’s Phillipe Barcinski for “Between Valleys”.
- As many as 346 teachers from across India were awarded National Teachers’ Award by President Pranab Mukherjee on 5th September 2016.
- The recipients were awarded a silver medal, a certificate and ₹50,000. Instituted in 1958, the award is presented on the occasion of Teachers' Day, celebrated on the birth anniversary of former President Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan on September 5 .
Science & Technology
- The Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has successfully conducted a technical flight of the new indigenous Light Utility Helicopter (LUH).
- The flawless test was conducted by HAL engineers and technicians in the air for 15 minutes inside the HAL complex in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- 29 hour countdown for launch of rocket GSLV-F-05 carrying advanced weather satellite INSAT 3DR begins today at 11:10 hrs.
- Actress Rekha's Biography titled 'Rekha: The Untold Story', was recently released.
- This book was written by Yasser Usman.
Business & Economy
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) today announced that it will reallocate the portfolios for its three Deputy Governors, including shifting the monetary policy, economic policy and research, and financial market operations to R Gandhi.
- Note : These three divisions were previously held by Urjit Patel who took charge as the RBI Governor on Monday.
- Patel's replacement for the Deputy Governor has not been announced yet.
- The Reserve Bank of India has announced that it will conduct open market operations (OMO) for purchasing government bonds to infuse ₹10,000 crore in the market on September 8.
- The RBI conducts OMO purchases in order to infuse liquidity into the system whenever there is a deficiency, while it conducts OMO sales to remove excess liquidity from the system.
- The government today approved projects worth over ₹450 crore under ‘Swadesh Darshan’ scheme for five states including Sikkim and Tamil Nadu.
- The project aims at developing 13 theme-based circuits for tourism in the country.
- They include the 'Ramayana circuit' in poll-bound Uttar Pradesh, as well as the 'heritage circuits' in Uttarakhand and Madhya Pradesh.
- CRPF topped with 14 Gold, 6 Silver& 6 Bronze medals at 65th All India Police athletics Championship held in Hyderabad.
- CRPF - Central Reserve Police Force
- Rio 2016 Paralympic Games began today.
- 4350 athletes (1650 women) from 160+ countries will compete in 22 sports.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here