- The Union Cabinet has given its approval to create a Project Development Fund (PDF) for catalysing Indian economic presence in the CLMV countries viz. Cambodia, Laos Myanmar and Vietnam.
- The PDF will have corpus of Rs 500 Crore and shall be housed in Department of Commerce.
- It will be operated through the EXIM Bank.
- Amid protests by the opposition, the Kerala government has prohibited Onam festivities in state-run offices and institutions during working hours.
- The Telangana Assembly today ratified the Constitutional Amendment Bill on the Goods and Services Tax (GST), becoming the 12th state or union territory to do so.
- The Centre seeks to roll out the nation-wide uniform indirect tax regime by April 1, 2017.
- The bill requires at least 15 states' assent before the President can notify it as a law.
- PM Narendra Modi today inaugurated the first phase of the ₹12,000-crore Saurashtra Narmada Avtaran for Irrigation (SAUNI) project in Gujarat’s Jamnagar.
- Under the project, nearly 10 dams and reservoirs of Rajkot, Jamnagar and Morbi, would be filled with the water of Narmada River.
- The four-phased project is expected to be completed before 2019, said Gujarat CM Vijay Rupani.
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa has announced 500 Amma gymnasiums and parks for as many as 1,000 villages in the state.
- The cost of setting up of the parks has been estimated to be ₹100 crore and that of the gymnasiums to be ₹50 crore.
- She also announced the construction of anganwadis, toilets and roads across the state.
- Gujarat has become the first state in the country to distribute two crore LED bulbs under the Centre’s UJALA scheme.
- The state has reached the milestone in just 96 days and over 42 lakh households have already benefited from the scheme.
- UJALA - Unnat Jyoti by Affordable LEDs for All
MOUs & Agreements
- The Goa government today signed a memorandum of understanding with Google India to promote digital literacy and drive digital transformation in the state.
- In the first phase, Goa government will launch internet safety education for students from classes 9th to 12th in government schools.
- The Union Cabinet has apprised the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between Indian Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT-In) and CERT-UK.
- The MoU was signed between CERT-In and Ministry of Cabinet Office, UK (United Kingdom) represented by CERT-UK, a unit of the Cabinet Office on Cyber Security in May 2016.
Places in News
- Thailand’s tallest building, the 'MahaNakhon' was officially inaugurated today.
- The 77-storey building measures 314 metres tall and features a sky observation deck, an outdoor bar, a restaurant, a public plaza for staging cultural events and a luxury hotel.
- Built by 'PACE Development', the project cost an amount of 18 billion baht (approximately ₹3,482 crore).
Science & Technology
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is planning to launch a record 68 satellites in one mission by early next year.
- The satellites will be "nano in nature".
- Important Note : Earlier in June, ISRO had set a record in its space programme by successfully launching 20 satellites in a single mission.
- Iran has launched the first phase of the country's own national internet network to provide high speed and quality connections at low costs.
- The government said that the network will be used to promote Islamic content and raise digital awareness among the public.
- Note : Iran already blocks access to overseas social media services including Twitter and Facebook.
- The 300 residents of the Australian village of Tyalgum have backed a plan to switch off the national power lines and set up their own solar power supply.
- If successful, the village will become the country's first community to have 24/7 electricity powered by 100% renewable energy.
- The installation of the solar-powered systems is expected to begin in October.
Business & Economy
- Qatar National Bank (QNB) has obtained an approval from the Indian regulatory authorities to open a branch in India to offer banking services.
- This would help in achieving the goal of strategic global expansion.
- Note : The bank currently has its presence in over 30 countries across Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and Asia.
- The Cabinet has approved a proposal to offer Permanent Residency Status (PRS) to foreign investors meeting minimum investment and employment generation criteria.
- PRS status entails multiple entries into the country for 10 years without any stay stipulation, right to purchase one residential property for dwelling purposes among others.
- Important Note : The scheme is not applicable for Pakistani or Chinese citizens.
- The Cabinet today approved the amendments in the FDI policy announced by the Modi government on June 20.
- The amendments are meant for liberalising and simplifying the FDI policy so as to provide ease of doing business in India.
- Furthermore, it will lead to larger FDI inflows contributing to growth of investment, incomes and employment.
- The National Payments Corporation of India today announced that it has launched the pilot project for Bharat Bill Payment System with 26 operating units.
- It will allow payments for everyday utility services such as electricity, water, gas, telephone, and DTH in its first phase.
- The BBPS is an RBI-mandated system to provide interoperable bill payment services, both online and offline.
- India's economy is likely to grow 7.8% in 2016-17 on the back of good monsoons, a survey by Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry has said.
- The industry body owed the improvement in the growth estimate to the better performance of the agriculture and industry sectors.
- Meanwhile, the RBI has pegged the growth rate at 7.6% this fiscal.
- The government today approved 16 highway projects budgeted at ₹7,456.88 crore in 11 states.
- Two projects will be for widening of stretches on NH-58 for connectivity in Uttarakhand's Char Dham Yatra.
- Asia's largest industrial aluminium manufacturer China Zhongwang today agreed to buy the US-based Aleris for $2.3 billion, making it the biggest ever overseas purchase of a metals processor by a Chinese company.
- The deal marks China’s shift to higher value-added products and will give Zhongwang access to the technological know-how and to more demanding customers.
People in News
- A 145-year-old man from Indonesia, Mbah Gotho, could be the world's oldest person, based on his official records that state he was born on December 31,1870.
- Note : 122-year-old Jeanne Calment from France is currently recognised by Guinness as the world's oldest person ever.
Awards & Honors
- Rio Olympic silver medal-winning Indian shuttler, PV Sindhu has been appointed as an honorary Commandant of the CRPF, the nation's largest paramilitary force.
- Sindhu, who will also be made the brand ambassador of the force, will be presented the rank badges and camouflage combat fatigues of the CRPF at a ceremonial event.
- Ecologist Bibhuti Lahkar has become the first Asian to be nominated for International Union for Conservation of Nature's ‘Heritage Heroes Award’.
- The award recognises the outstanding efforts of conservationists who help conserve World Heritage sites.
- Lahkar has been working at the Manas National Park in Assam for around 20 years, where he trained local youth in wildlife monitoring and ecotourism.
- Gene Wilder (83), known for portraying the role of 'Willy Wonka' in the 1971 film 'Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory' passed away.
- Some of his other films include the 1974 'Young Frankenstein' and the 1980 'Stir Crazy'.
- Wilder also received an Academy Award nomination for the 1967 film 'The Producers'.
- Women from Burma's 'Kayan' tribe wear brass coils around their necks to make their necks appear longer, as an elongated neck is considered a sign of beauty in Kayan culture.
- In reality, the weight of the rings pushes down the muscles around the collarbone and compresses the rib cage. Some women start wearing the rings from the age of five.
- 'Ochsenrennen' or ox racing is an event hosted in Bavaria, Germany every four years.
- The competition is a local tradition in which jockeys ride on oxen without a saddle, competing for a golden ox trophy.
- They have to race on a course measuring 100 metres long. The race is followed by a feast of roasted oxen to celebrate the event.
- Ashok Kumar Pradhan has taken over as the Chief General Manager of State Bank of Travancore (SBT).
- He is going to replace S Adikesavan, whose transfer to Hyderabad had kicked up a controversy recently.
- US President Barack Obama has been appointed the guest editor for technology magazine Wired's November issue, making him the first ever sitting US President to be a magazine's guest editor.
- The theme of the issue will be 'Frontiers', which will include stories of pioneers in various fields including technology and medicine.
- Note : Obama has previously written about feminism in Glamour magazine.
- World number one Novak Djokovic was elected as the ATP Player Council President, ahead of the US Open.
- South Africa's world number 35 Kevin Anderson was elected as the Vice President of the council, which is a representative body for the tennis players participating on the tour.
- Other members of the council include Andy Murray, Jamie Murray and Gilles Simon.
- England captain Wayne Rooney has confirmed his international retirement after the 2018 football World Cup in Russia.
- Man Kaur, a 100-year-old sprinter from Chandigarh, finished a 100-metre sprint in one minute and 21 seconds, to win Gold at the American Masters Games in Vancouver.
- Kaur was the only competitor in her age category at the international event, which is held for athletes aged over 30.
- Besides her sprint, Kaur also won gold in javelin and shot put.
- Read Current Affairs of 30th August 2016 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 29th August 2016 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 28th August 2016 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 27th August 2016 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 26th August 2016 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 25th August 2016 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 24th August 2016 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 23rd August 2016 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 22nd August 2016 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 21st August 2016 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 20th August 2016 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 19th August 2016 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 18th August 2016 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 17th August 2016 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 16th August 2016 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 15th August 2016 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 14th August 2016 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 13th August 2016 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 12th August 2016 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 11th August 2016 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 10th August 2016 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 9th August 2016 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 8th August 2016 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 7th August 2016 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 6th August 2016 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 5th August 2016 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 4th August 2016 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 3rd August 2016 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 2nd August 2016 from here
- Read Current Affairs of 1st August 2016 from here
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here