Awards & Honors
- Today (30th July) is World Day against Trafficking in Persons.
- This day was established by the UN General Assembly in the year 2013.
- Aim of this Day : To raise awareness of the plight of victims of human trafficking and to protect their rights.
- The first-ever meeting of BRICS Employment Working Group (BEWG) was held in Hyderabad, Telangana from July 27 to 28, 2016.
- Main aim of the meeting : To shape the agenda for labour and employment track in BRICS countries.
- India is going to host the International Summit on Tobacco-Control in the month of November to eliminate the illicit trade of tobacco products.
- The summit is scheduled to be held from 7th to 12th November 2016 in Noida.
- Aim of this Summit : To eliminate illicit trade of tobacco products.
- The Indo-Thailand Military Exercise MAITREE concluded on 29 July 2016 at Krabi, Thailand.
- The exercise had commenced on 15 July 2016 under the aegis of the Royal Thailand Army.
- 90 soldiers of Indian Army and Royal Thailand Army had participated in the two week long Exercise.
- Aim of this exercise : To train contingents of both the armies on conduct of counter terrorist operations in an urban environment.
- The Parliament has passed the Compensatory Afforestation Fund Bill, 2016 after it was approved by the Rajya Sabha.
- The bill provides for establishment of funds under the public accounts of the Centre and State levels for compensatory afforestation.
- Haryana Government has launched Pashudhan Bima Yojana, an insurance cover scheme for cattle breeders in the state.
- Justice Dilip Babasaheb Bhosale was today sworn in as the new Chief Justice of Allahabad High Court.
- He is going to replace Justice D.Y. Chandrachud who was appointed judge of Supreme Court.
- Shambhu Singh Yadav was today appointed as the Deputy Lokayukta of Uttar Pradesh state.
- The Gujarat government has appointed Dr. J.N. Singh, a 1983-batch Gujarat cadre IAS officer, as new Chief Secretary of the State.
- He is gong to replace G.R. Aloria, who is superannuating on July 31st.
Awards & Honors
- The Mohun Bagan FC has conferred club’s highest decoration Mohun Bagan Ratna (jewel) on legendary Indian Footballer Syed Nayeemuddin.
- With this, he became 16th recipient of the prestigious award which is bestowed upon person for making seminal contribution to the success of the club.
- West Bengal has been selected for the All India Coordinated Rice Improvement Project Award for the year 2015.
- This will be the first time the state will be receiving this award.
- Important Points to Note :
- Earlier, West Bengal also had won the Krishi Kamran Puraskar for three consecutive years.
- Besides, state government has also bagged the award (second position) for participating in International Agriculture and Horticulture Expo held in July 2016 in New Delhi.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here