Science & Technology
- The Tunisian Parliament today voted to approve the new government led by Prime Minister-designate Youssef Chahed, who backs the implementation of an austerity programme.
- Chahed's proposal of public-sector job cuts and tax rises was backed by 167 of the Parliament's 217 members.
- Important Note : 40-year-old Chahed is Tunisia's youngest Prime Minister since the country became independent in 1956.
- Nalanda University, one of the India's oldest institutes, conducted its first convocation in nearly 800 years today.
- President Pranab Mukherjee laid the foundation stone of the permanent campus of the university in Bihar's Rajgir and awarded two gold medals and 12 Post Graduate degrees to the students.
- Currently, 155 students are studying in the university.
- The Union Human Resource Ministry has formally launched Indian Institute of Techonogy (IIT) Dharwad in Karnataka.
- It was launched by Union Human Resource Development Minister Prakash Javadekar.
Science & Technology
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) successfully tested its Scramjet (Supersonic Combusting Ramjet) engine from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota today.
- Known as the air-breathing engine, it would be used only during the atmospheric phase of the rocket's flight and will help bring down the launch cost by reducing the amount of oxidiser required along with fuel.
- Automobile manufacturer Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd (M&M) has introduced DiGiSENSE, a cloud based technology solution to track vehicle information in real time.
- With this, Mahindra has become the first OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) in India to integrate its product line-up onto a cloud-based technology platform.
- Tata Sons has appointed Bain Capital's Managing Director Amit Chandra as a Non-executive Director on its board with immediate effect.
- With this, the Tata Sons board now has nine directors, including TVS Motor Chairman Venu Srinivasan and Piramal Group chief Ajay Piramal.
- Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg (Germany) has won the 2016 Belgian Grand Prix of Formula One.
- Important Points to Note :
- It was Rosberg’s overall tenth championship title of F1 in his career and the sixth win in the 2016 season.
- Earlier, he had won Australian Grand Prix, Bahrain Grand Prix, Chinese Grand Prix and Russian Grand Prix.
- Indian tennis player Sania Mirza along with her Romanian partner Monica Niculescu, won her 7th title of the year and 39th title overall after clinching her career's third Connecticut Open today.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here