- Today (26th August) is Women's Equality Day.
- On this day in 1920, Women in the United States were granted the right to vote.
- The first Children Court of South India was launched at the Nampally Criminal Courts Complex in Hyderabad, Telangana to fast disposal of cases related to children.
- Important Points to Note :
- With this, Telangana has become the third state to have a child friendly court after Goa and Delhi.
- This court is the 6th child-friendly court in the country.
- The Odisha government has held investors' meet in Bengaluru today.
- It is part of the celebrations to mark 80 years of Odisha and birth centenary of its former Chief Minister BijuPatnaik.
- At the meet, Chief Naveen Patnaik held discussions with business captains of the industry.
- Mrs Patnaik has also unveild Odisha Start-up Policy, 2016 which aims to create 1,000 start-ups in the next five years in the state.
- The state government has organised the meet in an attempt to encourage investments in sectors like manufacturing, IT, electronics, petrochemicals, food processing and tourism.
- The Union Ministry of Women and Child Development has launched Protection of Children from Sexual Offenses (POCSO) e-box, in New Delhi.
- It was launched by the Union Minister for Women and Child Development Maneka Gandhi.
MOUs & Agreements
- Central Tool Room and Training Centre (CTTC), Bhubaneswar, has signed an agreement with ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation) for technology transfer and a contract for supply of spacecraft component.
- Under the agreement, Indian Space Research Organisation would transfer three types of temperature-sensor technology to CTTC to further strengthen its manufacturing capability.
Business & Economy
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has asked banks to provide loans up to Rs 3 lakh at 7 per cent interest rate to Women Self-Help Groups (SHG).
- This loan scheme must be provided under the National Rural Livelihoods Mission (NRLM)-Aajeevika scheme during 2015-16.
Science & Technology
- The world’s first self-driving taxi service was launched in Singapore.
- This launch is significant as it offer technology demonstration that could revolutionize the future transport industry.
- This service was launched by Singapore based nuTonomy, an autonomous vehicle software startup.
- Note : With this nuTonomy became entity in the world first to offer self-driving taxi rides to the public.
- The National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) has constituted five-member review committee to probe the Indian shooters’ Rio Games debacle.
- It will submit the report within a maximum period of four weeks. Other members of the committee include former tennis player Manisha Malhotra, NRAI Secretary Rajiv Bhatia and two journalists.
- The committee will be headed by : Abhinav Bindra (India’s first and only individual Olympic gold-medallist)
- UEFA Best Player in Europe awards 2015-16
- Portuguese footballer Cristiano Ronaldo (31) has won the UEFA Best Player in Europe award for the year 2015-16.
- Ada Hegerberg was crowned with UEFA Best Women’s Player in Europe Award for the year 2015-16.
- Lionel Messi was crowed UEFA Goal of the Season award for the 2015-16.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here