Business & Economy
Recent MOUs & Agreements
- Today (1st Saturday of July) is International Co-operative Day / International Day of Co-operatives.
- Aim : To increase awareness on co-operatives and promote the movement's successes and ideals of international solidarity, economic efficiency, equality, and world peace.
- Theme of the year 2016 : Co-operatives: The power to act for a sustainable future
- Today (2nd July) is World Sports Journalists Day.
- This day was established by the International Sports Press Association (AIPS) in 1994 to mark the 70th anniversary of its foundation.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be on 4 African Nation visit (Mozambique, South Africa, Tanzania, and Kenya) from 7th to 11th July 2016.
- The government has changed the tagline of Aadhaar from ‘Aam Aadmi ka Adhikar’ to ‘Mera Aadhaar, Meri Pehchaan’.
- The 1st Women's University of India is celebrating 100 years.
- The Shreemati Nathibai Damodar Thackersey Women's University, the 1st Women's University in India, started on July 2, 1916, with the enrollment of five students.
- It was established by Dr Dhondo Keshav Karve, with the objective of educating more women.
- Around 15,000 women graduated from the university this year, which has campuses in both Mumbai and Pune.
- The Maharashtra government today planted two crore saplings across the state with the help of public participation.
- India's first Commercial Court and Commercial Disputes Resolution Centre has been inaugurated today at Raipur, the capital of Chhattisgarh.
- Chief Minister Dr. Raman Singh along with Supreme Court judge Madan B. Lokur dedicated to the people the Commercial Court complex in Naya Raipur.
- President Pranab Mukherjee today presented the Dr BC Roy national awards for the years 2008, 2009 and 2010 at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- These awards were presented on the occasion of National Doctors’ Day observed on July 1 to pay honour and tribute to India’s most famous physician Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy.
- Award Winners for the year 2010 :
- Nikhil C. Munshi,
- O.P. Kalra,
- Tejinder Singh,
- Subash Gupta,
- Amrinder Jit Kanwar,
- Rajendra Prasad
- Glory Alexander.
- Award Winners for the year 2009 :
- H. Sancheti,
- Renu Saxena,
- Atul Kumar,
- A.K. Kriplani,
- Kanan A.
- H.S. Bhanushali,
- G.V. Rao,
- Moti Lal Singh,
- C.N. Purandare
- C.V. Hari Narayan.
- Award Winners for the year 2008 :
- Rajeshwar Dayal,
- Mammen Chandy,
- Neelam Mohan,
- Rohit V. Bhatt,
- Mohan Kameswaran,
- Harsha Jauhari,
- Gopal H. Badlani
- Yash Gulati
Business & Economy
- India ranked 35th among 160 countries in the recently released bi-annual Logistics Performance Index (LPI) 2016 of World Bank Group.
- The index was published in the World Bank bi-annual report ‘Connecting to Compete 2016: Trade Logistics in the Global Economy’.
- German has topped the list for the 3rd time.
- Top 5 countries in the list are
- Today is 61st State Bank Day (formation day of SBI).
- SBI was founded on this day (2nd July) in the year 1806 [The initial name was Bank of Calcutta]
- The government is set to sign a new Tax Treaty with Cyprus, a prominent low-tax jurisdiction, aimed at preventing investors from defaulting on paying taxes in India.
- The Double Taxation Avoidance agreement will allow the government to prevent treaty abuse, tax evasion, and round-tripping of funds.
- It will also remove Cyprus from the government's blacklist for not providing information.
- Veteran economist Indrajit Coomara Swamy has been appointed as the new Governor of the Central Bank of Sri Lanka (CBSL).
- He is going to replace ArjunaMahendran, whose tenure, marked by controversies on the issuance of bonds, came to an end.
Recent MOUs & Agreements
- Telecom-to-energy conglomerate Reliance Industries (RIL) and India’s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) have signed Subscription and Shareholders’ Agreement to set up payments bank.
- As per the agreement, RIL will be the promoter with a 70 per cent equity contribution in the payments bank and SBI as joint venture will have 30 per cent equity contribution.
- The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has inked a MoU with Advertising Standard Council of India (ASCI) to check misleading advertisements in the food and beverages sector.
- This partnership between FSSAI and ASCI will put in place a mechanism to monitor misleading advertisements.
- It will also lead to streamlining advertisements effectively through structured guidelines and appropriate action.
- Indian footballer Gurpreet Singh Sandhu became the first Indian to start in a Europa League match, when he appeared for Stabæk against Wales’ Gap Connah’s Quay in the first qualifying round in Wales yesterday.
- Indian dairy cooperative, Amul is going to sponsor the Indian contingent for the Rio Olympics, with the company paying ₹1 crore to the Indian Olympic Association as sponsorship fee.
- The dairy brand released an ad announcing the sponsorship, captioned "Breakfaster. Higher. Stronger."
- Important Note : Amul had sponsored the Indian contingents at the 2012 London Olympics and the 2014 Asian and Commonwealth Games.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here