MOUs & Agreements
Science & Technology
- Today (11th July) is World Population Day.
- This day was established by the Governing Council of the United Nations Development Programme in 1989.
- Objective : To increase the awareness of the people towards the worldwide population issues.
- Theme of the year 2016 : 'Investing in teenage girls'
- The G-20 nations have agreed to improve international trade governance, seeking to remain committed to an "open global economy" and work towards "trade liberalisation and facilitation".
- Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull declared victory in the national election today.
- His coalition government will retain power while the opposition Labor Party conceded defeat.
- Prime Minister has arrived in Kenya from Tanzania on the fourth and final leg of his four-nation Africa tour.
MOUs & Agreements
- India and Kenya today signed 7 Agreements and MOUs, including in the field of defense cooperation, to strengthen institutional cooperation between respective defence establishments.
- Meghalaya Governor V. Shanmuganathan today inaugurated the launch of Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan (PMSMA) in the East Khasi Hills District of Meghalaya.
- The inaugural programme was followed by a daylong Free Medical Camp for Pre-Natal and Post-Natal care which was availed by hundreds of women and children.
- Minister of State for Communications Manoj Sinha and Union Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad today launched a government initiative in Patna, under which ‘gangajal’ will be home-delivered to people via the postal department
- In order to strengthen public security system, Maharashtra police has launched 4 Mobile Apps for timely intervention into emergency situations.
- They are,
- Railway helpline app : to offer help to railway passengers during emergency
- Police Mitra : aims at improving police administration by assisting police force in crime prevention and detection as well as ensuring safety of women, children and senior citizens.
- Pratisaad-Ask : to alert the nearby police of any emergencies such as "terrorist attack", "accident", "robbery", "Women Safety", or any other kind of human rights violation or unlawful activity.
- Vahanchoritakrar : to lodge complaint about stolen vehicles
- Nepal's Newly appointed Chief Justice Sushila Karki today took oath of office and secrecy.
- She is the first woman Chief Justice of Nepal.
- Important Note : Bidhya Devi Bhandari is the first female President of Nepal.
- Sanjay Gupta has been appointed as the Chairman and Managing Director of Konkan Railway Corporation Limited (KRCL).
- He is the youngest ever CMD of KRCL.
- The Delhi government appointed Ramesh Negi as the acting Chief Secretary in the absence of K. K. Sharma, who will remain on leave till July 25.
Science & Technology
- The Indian Railways has decided to procure a radar-based device to alert drivers of physical obstructions on railway tracks.
- The accident protection system, called 'Tri-Netra’, will use infra-red signals to sense obstructions up to 2-3 km ahead of the trains.
- Note : Six countries, including France, Japan and Switzerland, have expressed desire to install the system in Indian trains.
- Former India footballer and the country's first full time 'diamond' coach Amal Dutta (86) Passed away.
- Portugal has won the 2016 UEFA European football championship (Euro Cup 2016) by defeating host France.
- It was Portugal’s first UEFA European Championship title.
- Important Awards of EURO Cup 2016 :
- Golden Boot : Antoine Griezmann (France)
- Silver Boot : Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal)
- Bronze Boot : Olivier Giroud (France
- Young Player of the Tournament : Renato Sanches (Portugal)
- Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton won the British Grand Prix for the third year in a row by beating team-mate Nico Rosberg, who finished second.
- This was Hamilton's 47th career victory.
- Note : Red Bull's Dutch Max Verstappen finished third.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here