MOUs & Agreements
Business & Economy
- Today (5th June) is World Environment Day.
- This day is celebrated every year to raise global awareness to take positive environmental action to protect nature and the planet Earth.
- It is run by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
- This day was established by the United Nations General Assembly in 1972 on the day that United Nations Conference on the Human Environment began.
- Theme of the year 2016 : “Join the race to make the world a better place”.
- Today (1st Sunday of June) is Cancer Survivors Day.
- Pope Francis today announced a new law to deal with inaction over paedophile priests.
- Under this new law, Catholic bishops who fail to sack paedophile priests can be removed from office.
- This comes as some bishops have been long accused of simply moving priests accused of abuse to another parish, rather than report them to police or church authorities.
- India has submitted its formal application to join the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) ahead of PM Narendra Modi's visit to the United States.
- The NSG will reportedly assess India's application at "closed-door" meeting scheduled for June 9 and 10 in Austria's Vienna.
- Important Note : The NSG membership can help India gain access to the global nuclear market.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani jointly inaugurate Afghan India Friendship Dam.
- Modi reaches Qatar capital Doha on the second leg of his five nation tour.
MOUs & Agreements
- Telangana government has signed an MoU with California (US) for cooperation in fields of business innovation, alternative energy, and education.
- India and Qatar today signed 7 agreements, including on investment and tourism promotion, following delegation level talks headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Qatar Emir Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani. The agreements signed were,
- Agreement on Cooperation & Mutual Assistance in Custom Matters.
- First Executive Program for MOU in the field of Youth & Sports.
- MOU for investment in National Investment & Infrastructure Fund.
- MOU on Cooperation in Skill Development & Recognition of Qualifications.
- MOU on Cooperation in the field of Health.
- MOU on Cooperation in Tourism.
- MOU on Finance Intelligence Unit-India (FIU-IND) & Qatar Financial Information Unit (QFIU).
- Kerala government has decided to make the state's 590 km-long coastline "plastic and garbage free" by the end of this month, Kerala Fisheries Minister Mercykutty Amma said today.
- Plastic and solid waste will be collected separately and handed over to the Clean Kerala Company.
- The company plans to crush the plastic and use it for road tarring.
- Himachal Pradesh today became the first state in the country to have a State Data Centre (SDC), designed using green data centre concept, to offer 101 people-oriented service online through an integrated data base.
- CR Sasikumar has taken over as Managing Director of State Bank of Travancore (SBT), one of the associate banks of State Bank of India (SBI).
- Note : NK Chari has been appointed Managing Director of the State Bank of Mysore (SBM) yesterday.
- Congress Legislative Party leader and former Union Minister V Narayanasamy will be sworn in as the Chief Minister of Puducherry tomorrow.
- India's 1st Mr. Universe Manohar Aich passed away (104) in Kolkata today.
- Veteran film, theatre and television actress Sulabha Deshpande (79) passed away.
- She was considered among those spearheading the experimental theatre movement in the 1970s.
- Some of her works include the films 'English Vinglish' and 'Gaman'.
- She won the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1987 for her contribution to theatre.
- Moto2 rider Luis Salom (24) passed away after crashing during practice for the Catalunya Grand Prix.
Business & Economy
- The government will release revised values of Index of Industrial Production (IIP) and Wholesale Price Index (WPI) within this year with a new base year of 2011-12, Chief Statistician of India TCA Anant said.
- This is to make them more representative of the current economic scenario, he added. Currently, the IIP and WPI have a base year of 2004-05.
- Spain's Garbiñe Muguruza won her maiden Grand Slam title after defeating the defending champion Serena Williams in the French Open finals today. T
- Kila Raipur, a village in Punjab, has been hosting a sports event called the 'Rural Olympics' every winter since 1933.
- The tournament reportedly aims at giving farmers an opportunity to test their stamina and strength.
- The four-day event features competitions like bullock cart race, tractor tyre racing, Gilli Danda, Gatka, and tug-of-war among other conventional sports.
- ICC’s cricket committee has suggested making British Safety Standard-compliant helmets mandatory in international cricket.
- The committee expressed concerns that players were wearing helmets which were not compliant with safety standards, with England captain Alastair Cook being a recent example.
- Note : BSS helmets have lesser gap between the peak and the grille, and are not adjustable on either side.
- India win four gold and one bronze on second day of Asian Junior Athletics Championships in Vietnam.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here