Business & Economy
- India joins Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR).
- With this, India has became the 35th member of MTCR.
- This membership will enable India to buy high-end missile technologies and reportedly enhance its joint ventures with Russia.
- This marks India’s first entry into a multilateral export control regime.
- Check complete details of this historical events from herre
- Israel and Turkey announced a deal to end a six-year-long diplomatic standoff, which began when nine Turkish activists were shot dead by the Israeli Navy in 2010.
- The Turkish activists were on an aid vessel bound for the Gaza Strip in Palestine. $20 million will be provided in compensation for the families of those killed, as part of the deal.
- Thailand is set to hold a referendum on 7 August this year on a draft constitution, in the first such vote since the National Council for Peace and Order assumed power in May 2014.
- Thailand's Prime Minister : Prayuth Chan-ocha
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley cut short his visit to China by a day and returned today.
- Today (27th June) is 178th Birth Anniversary of Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay, the father of India's national song "Vande Mataram".
- Today is India's best known Soldier, Padma Bhushan, Legendary Field Marshal Sam Manek Shaw's 8th Death anniversary .
- He is India's first Indian Army officer to be promoted to the five star rank of field marshal
- He was popularly known as Sam Bahadur (Sam the Brave)
Business & Economy
- The government has filtered its list of candidates to be the next governor of the Reserve Bank of India to four.
- The list has,
- Urjit Patel (current RBI Deputy Governor)
- Rakesh Mohan (former RBI Deputy Governor)
- Subir Gokarn (former RBI Deputy Governor)
- Arundhati Bhattacharya (SBI Chair)
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) recently allowed startups with an overseas subsidiary to open foreign currency accounts with a bank outside India.
- The accounts will help the startups to credit foreign exchange earnings from exports and sales.
- RBI added that the balance in such accounts, to the extent they represent exports, should be returned to India.
- The China-led Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has approved first set of loans totalling US 509 million dollars to finance projects in four countries viz. Bangladesh, Pakistan, Indonesia and Tajikistan.
- List of projects approved so far are,
- Indonesia : US 216.5 million dollars loan for a National Slum Upgrading Project. It is expected to be co-financed with the World Bank.
- Bangladesh: US 165 million dollars loan for a Power Distribution System Upgrade and Expansion Project.
- Tajikistan : US 27.5 million dollars loan for the Dushanbe-Uzbekistan Border Road Improvement Project. It will be co-financed with the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD).
- Pakistan : US 100 million dollars loan for Shorkot-Khanewal Section of National Motorway M-4. It will be co-financed with the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the United Kingdom’s Department for International Development (DFID).
- The Union Rural Development Ministry and ISRO, Department of Space have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for geo-tagging the assets created under MGNREGA in each gram panchayat.
- Annually around 30 lakh assets are created under the rural job schemes across the country.
- The MoU was signed after the Ministry had decided that the geo-tagging of such assets will be done on a mission mode to monitor rural development.
Awards & Honors
- Two Indians, Kartik Sawhney and Neha Swain, have won the Queen’s Young Leaders Award 2016, that honours people from Commonwealth nations for their exemplary work.
- Sawhney founded Project STEMAccess for universal access to education.
- Swain founded an NGO to provide an inclusive space to people from all backgrounds.
- Note : The award was presented to 60 people at the Buckingham Palace.
- Spiritual leader Sri Sri Ravi Shankar has been bestowed with an Honorary Fellowship by National Indian Students and Alumni Union (NISAU), an Indian students body in the United Kingdom (UK) for his contributions to world peace and culture.
- Noted Malayalam theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker (88) passed away.
- He was dramatist, theatre director and poet.
- He had written over 26 Malayalam plays and had played a pioneering role in bringing idiom into Malayalam theatre.
- Former BCCI President and ICC Chairman N Srinivasan has been elected unopposed as the President of the Tamil Nadu Cricket Association.
- Srinivasan has been occupying the post since 2002, and this is the 15th consecutive time that he has been re-elected. Srinivasan was removed as BCCI chief after the 2013 IPL spot-fixing scandal, with his son-in-law found guilty of betting.
- Chile beat Argentina in Copa America shootout for second successive year
- Copa America 2016: Award Winners
- Golden glove (best goalkeeper) - Claudio Bravo (Chile)
- Golden ball (best player) - Alexis Sanchez (Chile)
- Golden boot (top scorer) - Eduardo Vargas (Chile, 6 goals)
- Top footballer Lionel Messi (Argentina) announced retirement from international football after Chile beat Argentina in the final of COPA America.
- Wimbledon Tennis Championships 2016 began today.
- This tournament will be held from 27th June to 10th July 2016.
- Important Points to Note :
- The Wimbledon championship, is the oldest tennis tournament in the world.
- Started in 1877, Wimbledon is the only Grand Slam played on the game’s original ‘grass’ surface.
- The tournament has always been held at the All England Lawn Tennis Club since its inception.
- The current season of the Pro Kabaddi League is set to host women's kabaddi matches for the first time.
- There will be eight matches in all for women, including a qualifier and the final, and will be held parallel to the men’s games.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here