Places in News
Business & Economy
- Today is World Red Cross Day.
- This day is observed on 8th may, as this date is the anniversary of the birth of Henry Dunant (born 8 May 1828), the founder of International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).
- He was the the recipient of 1st Nobel Peace Prize.
- Theme of World Red Cross Day 2016 : Everywhere for everyone
- Today (8th May) is World Thalassemia Day.
- Theme of 2016 : Access to Safe & Effective Drugs in Thalassaemia
- Today (2nd Sunday of May) is Mother's Day.
- India's proposed single emergency number '112' will be operational from January 1, 2017.
- The government had earlier approved the number's provision for various emergency services including fire, police and ambulance on similar lines to the '911' emergency service in the US.
- Reportedly, the service will also be accessible through phones whose network has been stopped.
- The Gujarat government has issued a notification giving minority status to the Jain community.
- Earlier, the community had been conferred with the minority status at the national level in January 2014.
- The Centre has ordered all its departments and state governments to widen the scope of the Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) scheme to include all welfare initiatives operated by them, directly or through implementing agencies.
- Note : The scheme, launched in 2013, aims to transfer subsidies directly into people's bank accounts and currently covers LPG subsidy and student scholarships, among other initiatives.
- Paramilitary force CRPF is set to deploy 567 women commandos in selected Left Wing Extremism-affected states for undertaking anti-Naxal operations.
- The latest batch of commandos from the CRPF training centre in Ajmer, Rajasthan has been selected for this assignment, after being trained for 44 weeks in jungle warfare, among other drills.
- Note : This is the fourth women battalion of CRPF.
- The Telangana government has issued orders to set up a 'Monkey Rescue and Rehabilitation Centre' in Adilabad district, at a cost of ₹2.21 crore.
- The Odisha government signed a Memorandum Of Understanding with Sulabh International Social Service Organisation for construction and maintenance of ‘hybrid toilet complexes’ in its nine cities.
- The hybrid toilet complexes having 5,957 seats will come up in urban centres under Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT) Yojana.
Places in News
- Karnataka government has decided establish the Asia’s first Rice Technology Park at Gangavati in Koppal district and a Maize Technology Park at Ranebennur in Haveri district.
Business & Economy
- Mumbai based IDBI Bank has decided to open an International Banking Unit (IBU) at the International Financial Services Centre (IFSC) in Gandhinagar.
- This is the first state-run bank to open for IBU centre.
- Note : Yes Bank, Federal Bank and ICICI Bank have been operating branches in GIFT city.
- The Union Government has started the process for issuance of Unique Business Identification Number (UBIN) to enable budding entrepreneurs set up their business without any delays.
- The drive has been launched by the Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion (DIPP) under the control of Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
- Saudi Arabia has issued a royal decree replacing the country's 80-year-old Oil Minister Ali al-Naimi with national oil company Saudi Aramco's Chairman Khalid al-Falih, as part of a broader cabinet reshuffle.
- In power since 1995, al-Naimi had reportedly led the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries' (OPEC) decision in 2014 to not restrain oil production amid global oversupply.
- Murali Pillai, an Indian-origin man from the Singapore's ruling People's Action Party (PAP) was today elected as Member of the Parliament following his victory in the by-election held at suburban Bukit Batok constituency.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here