Awards & Honors
Business & Economy
- Today (30th April) is International Jazz Day.
- This day is organized by UNESCO to celebrate “the virtues of jazz as an educational tool, and a force for peace, unity, dialogue and enhanced cooperation among people.”
- The European Union (EU) has announced that it is giving €38 million in cash aid to Caribbean country Haiti, which is currently combating drought and a migration crisis.
- The Tamil Nadu Agricultural University (TNAU) has reserved seats for Transgenders under the Most Backward Class Category (MBC).
- This is the first time the university is reserving seats for transgenders.
- The new 18.1 km east-west Purple line of Bengaluru's 'Namma Metro' is open to public after it was inaugurated by Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah and Union Minister Venkaiah Naidu today.
- The newly inaugurated part of the Metro includes a 5.12 km underground section.
- Earlier, only a 6.7 km stretch had been operational on Bengaluru Metro's east-west line.
- The government today announced that the National Food Security Act (NFSA) has been rolled out in 33 states/UTs with subsidised foodgrains being provided to 72.45 crore beneficiaries (nearly 14.8 crore households).
- Indian Railways has introduced ‘Indrail Pass’ aimed mainly at foreign visitors and NRIs to enable them to travel on any of its trains without any route restriction, within the validity of the pass.
- The pass can be purchased from the General Sales Agents appointed abroad and Rail Travel Agents without reservation charges.
- The pass is priced from $11 to $1,060.
- Union Energy Minister Piyush Goyal has inaugurated the Centres LED Bulb Ujala Yojana in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh today.
- Over ten crore LED bulbs have been distributed so far across the country under the Centre’s LED Bulb Ujala Yojana.
- There is plan to distribute over 70 crore LED bulbs till 2019.
- Union government is mulling to make it mandatory to allot 1 per cent of total cost of any highway project for road safety.
- Haryana Cabinet has decided to withdraw the status of cabinet minister and all facilities provided to former chief ministers of the state.
- In 2013, previous Congress government led by Bhupinder Singh Hooda had decided to provide all facilities to former Chief ministers, given to cabinet ministers including an official bungalow, vehicle, phone and staff.
- In Kerala, UNICEF and the state branch of Indian Medical Association (IMA) has joined hands to promote safe and healthy practices for improving maternal and child health in the state.
- The initiative will help Kerala achieve world class level in reducing child mortality rate.
- Reliance Infra-led Reliance Defence Ltd has signed a strategic partnership agreement with 3 Ukrainian state firms to collaborate on a range of military products.
- These three Ukrainian state-owned firms are Ukroboronprom, Spetstechno Exports and Antonov.
- The Odisha government has appointed noted IT entrepreneur Subroto Bagchi as the Chairman of Odisha Skill Development Authority.
Awards & Honors
- Politician NK Singh will be awarded with Japan’s Second Highest national award for his contribution towards Indo-Japan economic relations over 10 years more.
- Actress Sonam Kapoor has become the first Bollywood celebrity to launch her own app.
Business & Economy
- The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has entered into a collaboration with German government for a special programme on 'Soil Protection and Rehabilitation for Food Security'.
- The programme is part of the German government's recently introduced special initiative 'One World, No Hunger' initiative.
- As part of the collaboration, NABARD is anchoring soil conservation and rehabilitation of degraded land programme in Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh.
- It is also conducting innovation of watershed development and climate change adaptation programmes in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Rajasthan.
- The government of Panama has set up a committee of independent experts to make recommendations on cleaning up the country's financial system.
- The move comes after leaks of documents from the Panamanian law firm Mossack Fonseca caused an international uproar over offshore accounts.
- Chinese researchers have developed world’s first graphene electronic paper that will catapult the material to a new level.
- It was developed by The Guangzhou OED Technologies in partnership with a company in Chongqing Province of China.
- Indian Naval Ships namely Veer and Nipat, served for the defence operations under illustrious 22nd Killer Squadron decommissioned from the Indian Navy.
- Both naval carriers that are of 1241 RE class missile vessels have completed 29 and 28 years of commissioned service respectively.
- Throughout their service, the ships have contributed in many operations and successfully completed so many deployments.
- Indian Premier League side Kings XI Punjab appointed Murali Vijay as the team's captain for the remainder of the IPL 2016 edition.
- The Indian Premier League has officially announced that the final match of 2016's edition will be played at the Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bengaluru.
- Delhi's Feroz Shah Kotla will play host to the eliminator match of the IPL.
- Since the Bombay High Court's order to shift matches out of Maharashtra as many as 19 matches have been moved out of Maharashtra.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here