- Meeting of G-7 Nations begins in Japan.
- This is the 42nd G7 summit.
- This summit will be held during 26th to 27th May 2016 at the Shima Kanko Hotel in Kashiko Island, Shima, Mie Prefecture, Japan.
- Economy, security and tensions in East and South China Seas are the main topics to be discussed.
- Important Points to Note :
- The US today designated two Pakistan-based Islamist groups with links to Taliban and Lashkar-e-Taiba as Specially Designated Global Terrorists.
- The organisations are,
- Tariq Gidar Group (TGG)
- Jama’at ul Dawa al-Qu’ran (JDQ)
- This blocks all their properties under US jurisdiction and prohibits any transaction with them.
- India, which has emerged as the world’s second largest mobile market, is also the 5th largest producer of e-waste, discarding roughly 18.5 lakh tonnes of electronic waste each year.
- Telecom equipment alone accounts for 12 per cent of the e-waste.
- A joint study by Assocham-KPMG revealed these facts.
MOUs & Agreements in News
- The Union Cabinet has approved Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and the United Arab Emirates Space Agency (UAESA) for cooperation in the exploration and user of outer space for peaceful purposes.
- The MoU seek to set up a Joint Working Group with members from ISRO and UAESA.
- It will further work out the plan of action including the time-frame and the means of implementing the MoU.
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has granted ex-post facto approval to the MoU signed between the Ministry of Tourism, Government of India and the Ministry of Tourism, Government of Maldives for strengthening co-operation in the field of tourism.
- The HRD Ministry today launched Bharatavani, India’s first and largest multilingual dictionary in the form of a mobile app.
- The app, currently featuring 35 multilingual dictionaries, lets users search for text of one language in other languages.
- Note : The ministry has also launched the Bharatavani web portal that features 130 dictionaries, glossaries and terminology books in 22 languages.
- In the first meeting of his council of ministers, Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal today announced to abolish check gates at all border entry points to the state with immediate effect.
- He also decided to end oral interviews for Grade 3 and Grade 4 government jobs.
- Sonowal further announced a reduction in the number of vehicles in his convoy.
- Andhra Pradesh is going to implement e-Office system in all 13 districts on a pilot basis in June, followed by a full-scale launch in July,
- Already 2,23,582 files have been scanned while another 2,02,193 files would also be digitised soon.
- Note : The state already employs India's first e-Cabinet system enabling paperless Cabinet meetings.
- Chief Minister : N Chandra babu Naidu
- Union Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari today launched 20 Nirbhaya buses of Rajasthan State Transport Corporation with multiple safety measures to better protect women passengers.
- Note : Nirbhaya bus security measures include Vehicle Tracking System (VTS), CCTV and panic buttons on every seat.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi today announced that the retirement age of government doctors across the country will be increased from 62 years to 65 years.
- Indian-American Neera Tanden has been appointed by the Democratic party to a panel that would draft its policy agenda for the November presidential election.
- Ms. Tanden (45), a long-time associate of Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary Clinton, is being touted as a potential cabinet member if Ms. Clinton is elected as the US president in the November general elections.
- Lt General S K Saini assumed the office of commandant of the prestigious Indian Military Academy (IMA) in Dehradun.
Business & Economy
- Indian Railways today launched its 'Roll-on Roll-off' service to carry loaded trucks on freight trains and reduce congestion on roads.
- The service is expected to increase the freight carried by Railways while cutting carbon emissions at the same time.
- The service, promised in the budget this year, was launched in Bihar.
- Railway Minister : Suresh Prabhu
- Capital market regulator SEBI is planning to delist over 4,000 listed companies whose shares aren’t actively traded.
- The clean up includes 1,200 companies whose shares have been suspended from trading on the BSE and NSE for the past seven years.
- The 3,000 companies listed on the defunct regional bourses would also face the axe.
- SEBI Chairman : UK Sinha
- The Russian Tennis Federation has named suspended tennis player Maria Sharapova, among four players, who will compete in women's singles at the Rio Olympics.
- Note : Sharapova was earlier suspended from competitions, including the ongoing French Open, after testing positive for banned substance Meldonium.
- In French Open : Sania Mirza and Rohan Bopanna along with their partners enter second round in women's and men's doubles.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here