Business & Economy
Awards & Honors
- Today (12th May) is International Nurses Day.
- This day is celebrated around the world to mark the contributions nurses make to society.
- Theme of 2016 : Nurses: A Force for Change: Improving health systems’ resilience
- Kenya has vowed to close the world’s biggest refugee camp in Dadaab, home to 3,30,000 mostly Somali refugees, within a year.
- This comes after Kenya's Interior Minister Joseph Nkaissery said al-Shabaab fighters used the camp as a base for smuggling weapons.
- SAARC nations today agreed to set up a uniform toll-free child helpline at a three-day meeting of the South Asia Initiative to End Violence Against Children.
- According to a World Health Organisation report, Delhi is no longer the world's most polluted city and is ranked 11th in the most polluted cities list.
- However, four Indian cities – Gwalior, Allahabad, Patna, and Raipur are among the top 10 most polluted cities.
- Note : The highest PM2.5 levels were recorded in Iran's Zabol (217), followed by India's Gwalior (176).
- The Uttar Pradesh government today gave approval to the development of a 200-km 'Bicycle Highway' from Agra to the lion safari in Etawah.
- The 'Bicycle Highway' will cover historical and tourism centres and will not run along the Agra-Etawah main road.
- This reportedly is a part of the government's attempts to promote eco-tourism around the Taj Mahal.
- The Centre has lifted President's Rule from Uttarakhand after the Supreme Court earlier declared that Congress party's Harish Rawat had proved his majority in Tuesday's floor test.
- The Rajya Sabha has passed the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code 2016, which had already been passed by the Lok Sabha last week.
- The Code seeks to consolidate and amend the laws relating to reorganization and insolvency resolution in a time bound manner.
- The bill also proposes setting up of an Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board, and Insolvency and Bankruptcy Fund.
- In a major social and political move, Jharkhand government has decided to implement caste based reservation policy in contractual jobs in government and it’s undertaking.
- The Director General Naval Projects (DGNP), Visakhapatnam, an organisation which undertakes creation and augmentation of infrastructure for the Eastern Naval Command, is celebrating its Golden jubilee today.
- Established in June 1967, DGNP has built the Naval Dockyard at Visakhapatnam and undertaken a large number of marine infrastructure works and other technical works of various shore establishments.
- Headed by : Vice-Admiral D.M. Deshpande
- West Indies' cricket commentator Tony Cozier (75) passed away.
- In 2011, the London-based Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) awarded Cozier life membership for his services to the game.
Business & Economy
- Kotak Mahindra Bank Chief Uday Kotak, with a net worth of $7.1 billion, is the only Indian in Forbes' 'Money Masters: The Most Powerful People In The Financial World' list of 40.
- The 57-year-old is ranked 33rd in the list topped by Blackstone Group's CEO Stephen Schwarzman, who has a net worth of $10.2 billion.
- Mukesh Ambani-owned Reliance Jio Infocomm today launched its digital wallet service 'JioMoney Digital Wallet'.
- The wallet app is available on both the Android and iOS platforms.
- It will let users make bill payments, shop online and send and receive money.
- Note : The Reserve Bank of India in 2015 granted license to the Reliance Industries to set up a payments bank.
Awards & Honors
- Indian American elementary teacher Revathi Balakrishnan was among 56 “State Teachers of the Year” honored by President Barack Obama at the White House.
- Justice Tinlianthang Vaiphei of the Guwahati High Court will be the new acting Chief Justice of the Tripura High Court.
- Justice Navin Sinha, Chief Justice of the Chhattisgarh High Court has been moved as the Chief Justice of the Rajasthan High Court.
- Former BCCI President Shashank Manohar, who resigned recently, was today elected unopposed as the ICC's first independent Chairman for two years.
- Mumbai-based real estate company Kanakia Group has appointed Real Madrid manager and former France football team captain Zinedine Zidane as their brand ambassador for their upcoming project, Kanakia Paris.
- Note : The project, which aims to recreate a Parisian lifestyle experience to the public, will be constructed in the Bandra-Kurla Complex in Mumbai.
- Music composer AR Rahman today accepted the Indian Olympic Association's offer to become the Goodwill Ambassador for Rio Olympics.
- Important Note : Rahman is India's fourth Goodwill Ambassador after actor Salman Khan, Olympic gold medalist Abhinav Bindra and cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar.
- Spanish football giants Real Madrid were named 2016's most valuable football team for a fourth consecutive year by Forbes.
- Former Australian captain Michael Clarke is set to feature in Hong Kong’s Twenty20 Blitz, an Indian Premier League-styled T20 league.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here