I am sharing English Vocab from Hindustan Times- "The acid test for Mehbooba Mufti"
Hope you Like it. Happy Reading :)
1. an acid test (idiom)- a test which will really prove the value, quality, or truth of something
eg- The acid test for the product will be whether people actually buy it.
a state of dissatisfaction, disturbance, and agitation, typically involving public demonstrations or disorder
eg- "years of industrial unrest"
Sy- Skirmish, conflict,encounter
eg- Clash in the IIT in Jammu & Kashmir
4. Snowball(Verb) - increase rapidly in size, intensity, or importance.
eg- "the campaign was snowballing"
5. Coalition(noun) - a temporary alliance for combined action, especially of political parties forming a government.
eg- Coalition government
6. add fuel to the fire (or flames)(idiom)- cause a situation or conflict to become more intense.
eg- BJP spokesman added fuel to the fire by saying Kashmiri students could face a backlash in other parts of the country.
7. Backlash(noun) - a strong negative reaction by a large number of people, especially to a social or political development.
eg- "a public backlash against racism", BJP spokesman added fuel to the fire by saying Kashmiri students could face a backlash in other parts of the country.
8. Misinterpret (verb)-interpret (something or someone) wrongly.
9. at the behest of - because someone has asked or ordered you to do something
eg- The budget proposal was adopted at the mayor's behest.10. Custodian - a person who has responsibility for taking care of or protecting something.eg- "the custodians of pension and insurance funds"
11. Patriotism - (noun) The quality of being patriotic, nationalism
12. Resentment(noun) - bitter indignation at having been treated unfairly.
Sy- bitterness, irritation, indignation, discontent, dissatisfaction
eg- Such incidents create resentment among the targeted students.
13. Feasible(adj) - possible and practical to do easily or conveniently.
eg- demands are not feasible
14. perceive(verb)- become aware or conscious of (something); come to realize or understand.
15. partison(noun)- a strong supporter of a party, cause, or person.
16. Vitiate(verb)- spoil or impair the quality or efficiency of.
eg- The atmosphere has already been vitiated by calling in the police.
17. avert(verb)- turn away (one's eyes or thoughts).
eg- "she averted her eyes while we made stilted conversation", unrest must be averted at all cost
18. at all cost/ at any cost(idiom)- regardless of the difficulty or cost; no matter what.
eg- unrest must be averted at all cost.
NOTE : English Vocabulary from THE HINDU will be available from today's evening.