Science & Technology
Awards & Honors
- Today is United Nations' Mine Awareness Day (International Day of Mine Awareness and Assistance in Mine Action).
- The HRD Ministry has announced IIT Madras and IIM Bangalore as the best engineering and management institutes respectively in India.
- While IIT Madras was followed by IIT Bombay and IIT Kharagpur, IIM-Ahmedabad and IIM-Calcutta followed IIM-Bangalore.
- IISc Bangalore was ranked the best Indian university on the list, while JNU and University of Hyderabad were ranked 3rd and 4th respectively.
- Top 5 Universities :
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai
- Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
- University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad
- Tezpur University, Tezpur, Assam
- The Tourism Ministry has sanctioned ₹20 crore for promoting tourism in Varanasi.
- Projects under this grant will include a sound and light show, a Buddha theme park in Sarnath and conservation of the temples of Gurudham and Markandey Mahadev.
- The infrastructure projects were approved by the ministry's Central Sanctioning and Monitoring Committee (CSMC).
- India and Saudi Arabia have singed 5 agreements to boost the bilateral cooperation between the two nations.
- They are,
- Agreement on Labour Co-operation : It was singed for recruitment of general category workers between the Ministry of Labour, Saudi Arabia and Ministry of External Affairs, India.
- Executive Program for Cooperation in the Field of Handicrafts : It was signed between Saudi Commission for Tourism and National Heritage and Export Promotion Council for Handicraft (EPCH).
- Framework for Investment Promotion Cooperation : It was signed between Saudi Arabian General Investment Authority (SAGIA) and Invest India.
- MoU in the Exchange of Intelligence related to Money Laundering, Terrorism Financing and Related Crimes : It was signed between Financial Intelligence Unit of India and Saudi Arabia concerning Cooperation.
- Technical Cooperation Program : It was signed between Saudi Standards, Metrology and Quality Organization (SASO) and Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS).
Science & Technology
- India has decided not to take Russia's support in Chandrayaan II project.
- The lunar exploration programme will be completely indigenous with 'minor' help from NASA.
- Note : Earlier in 2010, it was agreed that Russian Space Agency Roscosmos and ISRO would collaborate for the mission, consisting of a lunar lander, a rover and the launch vehicle.
Awards & Honors
- Singer Taylor Swift bagged 4 awards at the 2016 iHeartRadio Music Awards held in Los Angeles, including the 'Female Artist of the Year Award'.
- Her album '1989' was named 'Best Album of the Year'.
- The award for the 'Song of the Year' was bagged by Adele for 'Hello'.
- Justin Bieber was named 'Male Artist of the Year'.
- Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) President Mehbooba Mufti took oath as the first woman Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir (J&K).
- After prolonged uncertainty over the government formation, she will now be heading the coalition government with the BJP.
- Note : Mufti has taken charge as the 13th CM of the state.
- Cyprian Kotut from Kenya has won the 40th edition of the 2016 Paris marathon in the men’s category.
- Note : The women’s title was won by Visiline Jepkesho (Kenya).
- English Premier League club Chelsea have appointed Italian Antonio Conte as their new manager for the upcoming 2016-17 season.
- Novak Djokovic won the Miami Open titile.
- This is his 28th ATP Masters title.
- With this he surpassed Rafael Nadal's record tally of 27.
- Note : This was Djokovic's fourth title of the year and overall his 63rd ATP title.
- The ICC has announced the team of the tournament for the World T20 2016.
- Virat Kohli was chosen as the captain, while Jason Roy, Joe Root, Jos Buttler and Quinton de Kock formed the batting lineup.
- David Willey, Ashish Nehra, Samuel Badree and Mitchell Santner formed the bowling attack while Andre Russell and Shane Watson were included as all-rounders.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here