- Today (18th April) is International Day for Monuments and Sites.
- This day also commonly known as World Heritage Day.
- This day was established by UNESCO in the year 1983.
- The main aim of this day is to to raise public awareness about the diversity and vulnerability of the world’s built monuments and heritage sites and the efforts required to protect and conserve them.
- Theme for 2016 : The Heritage of Sport
- A ban has been imposed with immediate effect on the use of animals in tests for manufacturing soaps and detergents, animal rights group PETA announced today.
- The Maharashtra Government has banned digging of borewells beyond 200 feet in order to check the steep decline in ground water level across the state.
- State Government has taken this decision in the wake for severe drought and decreasing ground water level across various regions in the state.
- The Lahaul-Spiti district of Himachal Pradesh has decided to implement the 'odd and even' system on the Manali-Leh highway from today.
- This comes after regular reports of traffic jams on the Manali-Koksar road after the Rohtang Pass was opened.
- On odd dates, vehicles would be allowed from Manali towards Lahaul-Spiti, while it will be the reverse on even dates.
- The Maharashtra government has made it mandatory to have a barcode and hologram on liquor bottles to eliminate the problem of spurious liquor.
- This 'track and trace' mechanism will reveal the authenticity of the liquor to the customer and officials.
- The hologram cannot be replicated or reused and will also reveal if the liquor is duty-evaded or smuggled.
- Indian Railways will shortly be launching Phone Ticket Cancellation Service, wherein passengers will be able to cancel their reserved tickets booked through counters by dialing 139.
- At the beginning, the service can only be availed by passengers whose train departs between 11 pm and 6 am.
- Note : Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu had announced this service in the Railway Budget.
- The world's largest wooden Charkha (spinning wheel) is going to be installed at Terminal 3 of the Indira Gandhi International Airport, Delhi.
- The four-tonne Charkha made from high-quality teak wood, which is estimated to last for over 50 years, was built by around 26 workers and carpenters who completed it in 40 days.
- The Ceasefire between the Centre and the NSCN-IM (National Socialist Council of Nagaland- Isak Muivah) has been extended by another year i.e. till April 2017.
- In this regard, the ceasefire agreement was signed between the Union Government and GPRN/NSCN, one of the strongest factions of Nagaland.
- The sole purpose of the extension is to boost to the Naga peace process and bring long lasting peace in Nagaland.
- Note : The signatories also agreed that the Ceasefire Ground Rules will subject to mutual review and amendment with involvement of both the parties.
- The BRICS New Development Bank (NDB) has approved its first package of loans worth 811 million dollars for 4 renewable energy projects in Brazil, China, South Africa and India.
- The Haryana government has launched five online services for registration of firms and 18 incentive schemes.
- These aimed at bringing more transparency and further improve the efficiency in the process of registration of partnership firms and to facilitate the industrial units to avail the benefit of incentive schemes in a time-bound and transparent manner.
- The Union Government has leased a commemorative coin of 200 rupees and a circulation coin of 10 rupees on freedom fighter Tatya Tope.
- It was released by the Union Culture Minister Dr. Mahesh on the occasion of the Martyrdom Day of Tatya Tope (18th April) in New Delhi.
- Important Note : The Union Ministry of Culture has been celebrating the 200th Birth Anniversary of Tatya Tope during 2015-16 in association with State Government of Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh.
- Senior IPS officer Deepak Mishra has been appointed as Additional Director General in the CRPF.
- CRPF - Central Reserve Police Force
- PC Thakur appointed as Director General of Fire Services, Civil Defence and Home Guards.
- Australia has won the 25th edition of Sultan Azlan Shah Hockey Tournament 2016 for record ninth time.
- Former Pakistan cricket team captain, Inzamam-ul-Haq has been appointed as the Chairman of the senior selection committee of the Pakistan Cricket Board.
- Note : Yesterday, he resigned from his post as coach of the Afghanistan cricket team eight months before his contract expired.
- Ace tennis player Rafael Nadal (Spain) has won the 2016 Monte Carlo Rolex Masters title of by beating Gael Monfils (France).
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here