Business & Economy
- The Shanghai government has announced plans to lower the credit score of its citizens who do not visit their elderly parents.
- This policy, aimed at ensuring that financial and emotional needs of parents are met, will take effect from May 1.
- The Union cabinet has given its formal approval for adopting the Statute of the South Asia Wildlife Enforcement Network (SAWEN).
- With this, India will become member of SAWEN, a regional inter-governmental body in combating wildlife crime in the region and beyond.
- By becoming member of SAWEN, India will strengthen its ties with the member countries for controlling the trans-boundary wildlife crimes through coordination, communication, collaboration, cooperation and capacity building in the region.
- The festival of harvest, Baisakhi is being celebrated in northern part of the country today.
- On this occasion, farmers, especially in Punjab and Haryana, express their gratitude for a good harvest and pray for prosperity in the coming year.
- Baisakhi has special significance amongst the Sikh, as they also celebrate the foundation of the Khalsa panth set up by Guru Gobind Singh.
- 125th birth anniversary of Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar to be celebrated tomorrow.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi is going to launch Gram Uday Se Bharat Uday Abhiyan on the occasion.
- Modi will also to launch National Agriculture Market portal.
- For the first time, a group of transgenders will be in-charge of a polling booth in Kolkata.
- This is part of an initiative to include all sections of the society in polling processes in Kolkata, which goes to polls on April 30.
- India is home to 2,226 tigers, representing 70% of the global tiger population, said Environment Minister Prakash Javadekar today.
- Note : According to World Wildlife Fund estimates, the global tiger population increased from 3,200 to 3,890 in five years, marking a 22% increase.
- For the First Time in India, Union Railway Minister, Suresh Prabhu inaugurates fitment of CCTV in Shan-E-Punjab Express (Amritstar-New Delhi) through Video-Conferencing.
- The installation of surveillance systems was done through Ms/ A-Paul Instrument Company at an approximate cost of 36.71 lakh.
- CCTV system includes 4 to 6 Cameras per coach with Digital Video Recorder (DVR).
Business & Economy
- Federal Bank ties up with Chillar Payment Solutions Pvt. Ltd., a technology driven start-up company to promote the start-up’s technology product – ‘Campus Wallet‘.
- This is a student Identity Card integrated with banking technology.
- Golden Tobacco Ltd. in April 2016 became the first company in India to implement the Union Health Ministry’s Cigarettes Packaging Amendment Rules, 2014.
- As per it, both sides of the cigarette packs shall display specific health warnings in 85 percent of the area as against the present 40 percent.
- Author and poet Padma Sachdev was selected for the prestigious Saraswati Samman for 2015 for her autobiography titled Chitt-Chete, written in Dogri language.
- The book, published in 2007, links the personal trials and tribulations of the author with issues concerning society, nation and the world at large.
- Royal Mail of British honoured playwright William Shakespeare by issuing a set of special postage stamps to mark the 400th anniversary of his death.
- S. Ravindran, Deputy General Manager of Syndicate Bank, took charge as the new Chairman of Karnataka Vikas Grameena Bank (KVGB), a Dharwad-headquartered regional rural bank today.
- Note : At present KVGB has business of more than ₹20,600 crore with a branch network of 611.
- Bollywood actor-couple Ajay Devgn and Kajol will serve as the brand ambassadors of Andhra Pradesh Tourism. The two volunteered for the position, and offered to invest in media and entertainment projects in Amaravati. Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu welcomed the offer, and held a meeting with Devgn the same day.
- The 153rd edition of the Wisden's list named Kane Williamson as Leading Cricketer in the World for 2015.
- Note : All-rounder Suzie Bates was awarded the Leading Woman Cricketer in the World.
- Vijender Singh, who has been unbeaten so far in his professional boxing career, will face French boxer Matiouze Royer in his 5th professional bout at Stratford's Copper Box Arena in London on April 30.
- Note : Matiouze Royer hails from Bayonne in South West France and has fought in 44 professional bouts in his career, with 14 wins under his belt.
- Amid drought conditions in Maharashtra, the Bombay High Court has directed BCCI to shift all IPL matches post April 30 outside the state.
- Note : The tournament's final was scheduled to be played in Mumbai on May 29.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here