- World Tuberculosis (TB) Day was observed today.
- Theme of the year 2016 : Unite to end TB
- Important Points to Note :
- This day is designed to build public awareness about the global epidemic of tuberculosis (TB) and efforts to eliminate the disease.
- 8.6 million new cases of tuberculosis occur each year globally, of which 2.2 million occur in India.
- This day is one of eight official global public health campaigns marked by the World Health Organization (WHO). The remaining 7 are,
- World Health Day
- World Blood Donor Day
- World Immunization Week
- World Malaria Day
- World No Tobacco Day
- World Hepatitis Day
- World AIDS Day.
- The lawmakers reportedly believed that an economically prosperous India would benefit US interests in Asia.
- About 43% of the voters supported the new flag, designed by Kyle Lockwood.
- The results of the referendum, estimated to have cost NZ$26 million ($17.4 million), will expectedly be confirmed next Wednesday.
Business & Economy
- The Arunachal Pradesh assembly today passed the 2016-17 State Budget by voice votes, as the opposition Congress continued to boycott the three-day session.
- Earlier, Chief Minister Kalikho Pul, had presented the ₹367.58 crore deficit budget, the first from the People’s Party of Arunachal (PPA) government which came to power after months of political instability.
- The Indian Railways today increased the lower berth quota for senior citizens by 50% to 80-90 seats in a train with effect from April 1.
- Note : Female passengers aged above 45 years and pregnant women also eligible to avail the enhanced quota.
- Earlier, Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu had announced the proposal in the Budget 2016-17 presented in February.
- India Post has released a customised commemorative stamp on Hindustan Aeronautical Limited (HAL) in recognition of the company’s 75 years of service to the nation.
- Important Points to Note :
- It is for the first time India Post has issued a customised ‘My Stamp’ and HAL is the first organisation to feature on it.
- The tagline of the customized stamp is ‘HAL: The force behind the forces’ and HAL’s platinum jubilee logo on it representing company’s contribution to the nation’s defence forces.
People in News
- Mehbooba Mufti unanimously elected leader of PDP Legislative Party.
- She is expected to become first woman Chief Minister of new PDP-BJP coalition government in Jammu and Kashmir.
- India and France have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for construction of six nuclear reactors at Jaitapur nuclear park in Maharashtra.
- It was inked by Electricite de France (EDF), a French public utility and the Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL).
- The MoU was signed after the two countries had decided to conclude the techno-commercial negotiations for the Jaitapur project by the end of 2016.
Science & Technology
- The Fast patrol vessel (FPV) of the Indian Coast Guard ICGS Arnvesh was commissioned at Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- The ship is primarily intended to undertake coastal patrol, surveillance at sea, anti-smuggling, anti-piracy operations and search and rescue operations.
- Indian Navy has deployed a P8I maritime Aircraft to Seychelles for monitoring purpose.
- This is the first time India has deployed a P8I maritime aircraft to Seychelles.
- It will be deployed in Seychelles till March 23,2016
- It will help in curbing illegal activities and piracy as well as ensuring stability and safety in the Indian Ocean region
- Mobile payment and commerce platform Paytm has appointed ex-head of Alibaba Group Holding's wholesale business, Bhushan Patil, as the company's new President.
- Mukund Padmanabhan will be the new Editor for the The Hindu, one of the largest English dailies in the country.
- Note : He will be the second non family member who hold this position in the 125-year old Newspaper.
Books & Authors
- Filmmaker Aishwaryaa R Dhanush is set to launch her autobiography titled “Standing On An Apple Box”.
- Note : Aishwaryaa, the elder daughter of veteran actor Rajinikanth and wife of Kollywood actor Dhanush, has penned her life story as a celebrity child, star wife, filmmaker, and mother.
- Ajax and Barcelona legend Johan Cruyff passed away today following a battle with cancer.
- Cruyff was a prime exponent of 'Total Football' and was part of the famous 1974-World Cup Dutch team.
- The three-time Ballon d'Or winner also led Ajax to three consecutive European Cup titles.
- Note : 'Tiki-Taka' style of football is widely attributed to his managerial philosophy in Barcelona.
- Denmark's 17-year-old Mohamad Al-Bacha was crowned the FIFA'16 world champion after winning the final in New York
- He beat England's Sean Allen in the final to win the $20,000 top prize alongside a chance to visit the Ballon d’Or-2016 ceremony in Switzerland.
- Australian cricketer Shane Watson today announced that he will retire from all forms of international and first-class cricket after the World T20 tournament.
- Watson with 10,888 runs and 289 wickets in his 14-year-long international career is one of seven cricketers in history to register more than 10,000 runs and collect more than 200 wickets across all formats of international cricket.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here