Business & Economy
- Today (22nd March 2015) is World Water Day.
- This day is a United Nations initiative to celebrate clean water and bring attention to those who don’t have enough of it.
- The first World Water Day was celebrated in 1993 after the United Nations approved of the same.
- Theme of World Water Day 2016 : 'Better water, better jobs'
- Theme of World Water Day 2015 : "Water and Sustainable Development"
- Belgian Capital Brussels comes under terror attacks.
- At least 31 killed and 81 injured in blasts at airport and Metro.
- World leaders including Prime Minister Narendra Modi condemn the attacks.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will embark on a three nation visit to Belgium, United States & Saudi Arabia.
- Mr Modi will be in Brussels on 30th of this month for India-EU Summit to deepen the India-EU strategic partnership and advance collaboration in priority areas of growth and development.
- During his second leg of visit, he will attend the 4th Nuclear Security Summit on March 31st to 1st of April at Washington DC.
- On his way back home, Mr Modi will visit Saudi Arabia on 2nd and 3rd of April.
- India has assumed BRICS (Brazil-Russia-India-China-South Africa) Chairmanship from the Russian Federation for the year 2016.
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj formally unveiled the BRICS Logo for the duration of India’s BRICS Chairmanship.
- She also launched India’s BRICS website on the occasion.
- She announced that the 8th BRICS Summit would be organized in Goa on 15-16 October this year.
- Over fifty meetings and events, at the Ministerial, Senior Officials, Working Groups, Technical, and Track-II levels, are proposed to be organized during India’s BRICS Chairmanship through the year.
- As per a report released by Water Aid, India has the world's highest number of people without access to clean water.
- The report added that 75.8 million Indians are forced to buy water at high rates or use water that is contaminated with sewage/chemicals.
- Indians account for more than a tenth of the 650 million people worldwide without clean water access.
- The Punjab Assembly today passed a law that imposes life imprisonment for the sacrilege of the Sikh religious book Guru Granth Sahib.
- Under the new amendments to the Indian Penal Code (IPC), punishment for defiling places of worship was increased from two to 10 years.
- However, an amendment seeking to extend the punishment to cover other religions was rejected.
- The government today cleared the new Defence Procurement Procedure (DPP) that focuses on fast-tracking acquisitions and Indian-made products.
Business & Economy
- IT Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad today announced that India has attracted investments over ₹1.28 lakh crore in electronics manufacturing sector.
- Former Intel CEO Andrew Grove (79) passed away.
- Considered as a pioneer in the semiconductor industry and the "guy who drove the growth phase" of Silicon Valley, Grove played a critical role in moving Intel’s focus from memory chips to microprocessors.
- Renowned Malayalam writer M Sukumaran was chosen for the CV Kunhiraman Literary Prize.
- The prize consists of 10001 rupees in cash, a citation, and a statuette designed by artist BD Dathan.
- Pakistan captain Shahid Afridi became the highest wicket-taker in World T20 tournaments, after picking up his 39th WT20 wicket in the WT20 Group game against New Zealand today.
- Important Points to Note :
- Afridi surpassed Sri Lankan bowler Lasith Malinga's record of 38 WT20 wickets.
- Afridi, with a total tally of 97 wickets, is also the highest wicket-taker in T20Is.
- Olympic gold medalist and Indian ace shooter Abhinav Bindra has set up a venture capital fund named 'Shooting Star LLP'.
- This fund is created in an equal partnership with consulting firm Franchise India, and an initial investment of $2 million.
- It will invest in emerging sports academies, sports injury, rehab, equipment and training, health apps, child development and organic foods.
- Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt today confirmed that this year's Rio Olympics will be his last Olympics.
- Note : He won six Olympic gold medals for his performances in 2008 and 2012.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here