- According to the World Happiness Report 2016 published by the United Nations, India has ranked 118th out of 156 nations in a global list of happiest nations.
- India comes below nations like Somalia (76), China (83), Pakistan (92), Iran (105), Palestinian Territories (108) and Bangladesh (110).
- Denmark takes the top spot as the happiest country in the world.
- Top 5 countries in the list are
- The US imposed new sanctions on North Korea today, after North Korea's recent nuclear tests.
- PM Narendra Modi today inaugurated the World Sufi Forum in Delhi.
- The four-day event, organised by All India Ulama and Mashaikh Board, a body of Sunni Muslims in India, will see participation of Indian and International delegates, spiritual leaders, scholars and masters of Sufism.
- Bodh Gaya will host a Buddhist Conclave during 29th to 31st March 2016.
- The conclave will be organised by the Federation of Associations in Indian Tourism and Hospitality (FAITH) in collaboration with the Ministry of Commerce and the Ministry of Tourism.
- It aims to develop the Buddhist Circuit in UP and Bihar in India, and Nepal, with foreign investment in the segment.
- The Lok Sabha has passed a bill to amend the Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) Act (MMDR Act) to allow the transfer of captive mining leases that are not granted through auction.
- The move will enable banks and financial institutions to sell stressed assets, where a company or its captive mining lease is mortgaged, to recover debts.
Awards & Honors
- The Surat railway station has been named the cleanest in India in the A1 category while Beas was named the cleanest in A category by a survey conducted by the Indian Railways.
- The survey, conducted across 407 stations and based on the feedback of around 1.34 lakh passengers, classified the stations into 'A' and 'A1' categories based on their traffic.
- American singer-actress Selena Gomez topped by beating singer-songwriter Taylor Swift to become the most followed Instagram user, with a total of 69.4 million followers.
- Swift currently has 69.2 million followers on the photo-sharing app.
- Reality television star Kim Kardashian comes third in the list with a total of 63.7 million followers.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has featured in TIME magazine's '30 most influential people on the Internet' list for the second time in a row.
- Modi, who has over 18 million Twitter followers and 32 million Facebook likes, has been described as an "internet star" by TIME.
- The World Economic Forum (WEF) has named four Indians in its list of 121 young global leaders aged under 40.
- They are,
- Kanika Dewan, President of Bahrain-based Bramco Group,
- Dhivya Suryadevara, CEO of US-based GM Asset Management,
- Sheetal Amte-Karajgi, CEO of Baba Amte-founded Maharogi Sewa Samiti
- Shaurya Veer Himatsingka, Deputy MD, India Carbon
- British Professor Sir Andrew Wiles awarded Abel Prize.
- He was honored with this award for solving a problem that baffled experts for three centuries.
- Sir Andrew’s discovery described as ‘an epochal moment for mathematics’.
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) today signed an MoU with the Indian Railways for "developing applications in the field of remote sensing and Geographic Information Systems (GIS)".
- Under this, the railways will use space technology tools to provide passenger information systems in all trains.
- Currently, it uses space technology to provide connectivity to Passenger Reservation System (PRS) counters at remote locations.
- Nepal is set to have its first woman chief justice with a judicial body today recommending Sushila Karki's name for the top post, months after the country got its first woman President and Speaker.
- Important Point to Note : Nepal already is in news for getting it's First woman president (Bidhya Devi Bhandari) and First woman Speaker (Onsari Gharti Magar).
- Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff named former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva as Chief of Staff.
- Award-winning action actress Michelle Yeoh has been appointed as United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Goodwill Ambassador.
- The UNDP works to eradicate poverty and reduce inequality.
- The actress will focus on raising awareness and mobilising support for the recently-launched Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Russell Adams, the Vice-President of Commercial Operations and Cricket Academy at Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB), has been named as the new Director of Royal Challengers Sports Private Limited (RCSPL).
- He is going to replace Vijay Mallya, who has resigned his post as the Director today.
- US President Barack Obama has nominated veteran appeals court judge Merrick Garland to be the next US Supreme Court Justice.
- Ashley Judd was appointed as the United Nations latest Goodwill Ambassador.
- Senior Indian Hockey Women's team defender Deepika will replace Ritu Rani as the captain of the 18-member squad for the upcoming Hawke’s Bay Cup to be held in New Zealand from April 2.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here