Science & Technology
Business & Economy
Books & Authors
- Today (2nd Thursday of March) is World Kidney Day.
- This day is a global health campaign celebrated every year all across the world in order to raise the public awareness about the kidneys importance and its contributions to the overall health.
- It is celebrated to make the common public aware about the diseases and problems of the kidneys in order to reduce the occurrence of kidney diseases as well as all the associated health problems of the kidneys.
- Theme of World Kidney Day 2016 : “Kidney Disease & Children: Act Early to Prevent It”.
- Tibetan Uprising Day observed today (10th March)
- This day commemorates the 1959 Tibetan uprising against the presence of the People's Republic of China in Tibet.
- India and the United States have agreed to work together in fighting terrorist organisations like the Lashkar-e-Taiba and the Jaish-e-Muhammad.
- Today is 47th Raising Day of the CISF.
- The CISF came into existence in 1969 to provide integrated security cover to public sector undertakings and now has a strength of around 1.4 lakh personnel.
- Important Points to knwo about CISF :
- CISF - Central Industrial Security Force
- Motto - Protection and Security
- Head - Surender Singh
- Governing body - Ministry of Home Affairs (India)
- Parent agency - CAPF (Central Armed Police Forces)
- The Union Cabinet today approved Pradhan Mantri Ujwala Yojana, a Rs 8,000-crore scheme to provide cooking gas (LPG) connections free of cost to women members of poor households.
- The Cabinet approved this scheme with an outlay of Rs 8,000 crore for three years.
- The scheme will benefit 5 crore BPL households.
- Oil Minister : Dharmendra Pradhan
- The Rajya Sabha today passed the National Waterways Bill 2015 unopposed.
- This move paves the way for the conversion of 106 additional inland waterways into transport waterways, taking their total number to 111.
- Once made into a law, the waterways can be used to transport cargo, which is the most cost-efficient and fuel-efficient means of transport according to the shipping ministry.
- The Real Estate (Regulation and Development) Bill, aimed at bringing transparency in the sector by creating a consumer right protection umbrella, was passed in the Rajya Sabha today.
- According to this bill, a real estate regulator will be established to monitor transactions and settle disputes between home buyers and builders.
- Further, builders will have to pay an interest to buyers for defaults or delays.
Science & Technology
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) today successfully launched its 6th navigation satellite into the Earth’s orbit from Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota.
- The 1,425-kilogram IRNSS-1F satellite is a part of the Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS) that aims at providing accurate indigenous navigation at par with the US-based Global Positioning System (GPS).
- Indian Naval Ship (INS) Tabar, a stealth frigate of the Indian Navy entered Port Louis, Mauritius and shall remain there till 13 March 2016.
- The primary aim of the visit is to participate in the Mauritius National Day celebrations and to strengthen the existing bonds of friendship between the two nations.
Business & Economy
- The European Central Bank today cut its benchmark interest rate (refinancing rate) to 0% from 0.05%.
- Important Points to Note :
- The refinancing rate is the rate at which the ECB lends money to commercial financial institutions like banks.
- The bank also slashed its deposit rate by 0.1% to (-)0.40%.
- With the negative deposit rates, banks will be charged to deposit money with the Eurosystem.
- State-run telecom company BSNL has partnered with Tata Sky to offer video-on-demand services across India.
- Under this first-of-its-kind partnership between a public and a private entity, connectivity and bandwidth will be provided by BSNL and content will be provided by Tata Sky.
- Note : Currently, Tata Sky has around 4,000 titles available on its platform.
Books & Authors
- Dr. Mahesh Sharma, the Minister for State (I/C) for Culture and Tourism and Minister of State for Civil Aviation released a book entitled "The Culture Heritage of Trans Himalayas-Kinnaur".
- This book was authored by P.S. Nagi Loktus, IAS (retd.).
- The book, published by IGNCA under Ministry of Culture, is a study of the cultural heritage of the trans-Himalayan area of Himachal Pradesh, especially Kinnaur that involves documentation of traditional institutions like temples, monasteries, Bon chos, artefacts, forts and old dialects of various ethnic groups.
- India has signed an agreement to extend $2 billion as line of credit to Bangladesh.
- This is the highest ever credit offered by India to any country.
- The credit would be used in implementing 14 different projects covering power, roads and health sectors, among others.
- Earlier, India had inked a $1 billion credit agreement with Bangladesh in 2010.
- Tapan Kumar Chand, CMD, Nalco, has been elected President of Aluminium Association of India (AAI).
- Sudhakar Rao will take over as the new Public Interest Director and Chairman of BSE (Bombay Stock Exchange).
- He is going to replace S Ramadorai, who has retired from the position on 7th March 2016 after serving BSE for six years.
- Shakuntala Doley Gamlin, a 1984- batch IAS officer, has been appointed as Chief Secretary of Arunachal Pradesh.
- She is going to replace Ramesh Negi.
- Note : Negi has been transferred to the Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi (GNCTD) with immediate effect.
- Jean Arnault was appointed as the Head of United National Political Mission in Columbia.
- SainaNehwal entered quarterfinals of women’s singals of All England Badminton Championships.
- Korean auto-giant Hyundai, has signed a deal with the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) as an Associate Sponsor.
- Under the four year pact, Hyundai shall be an official partner for all matches to be played across the three formats - Test, One day, and T20.
- The deal includes in-stadia car display, promotions and Hyundai branding during matches.
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries has signed Indian cricket team captain M S Dhoni as Revital H's new brand ambassador.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here