- Today (6th February) is International Day of Zero Tolerance to Female Genital Mutilation.
- This day is an UN-sponsored awareness day.
- This day is observed to make the world aware of female genital mutilation (also called FGM) and to promote its eradication.[
- The 9th India-Nepal combined battalion-level military training exercise 'Surya Kiran' will be conducted at Pithoragarh from 8th to 21st February 2016.
- Surya Kiran series of exercises is a bi-annual event conducted alternatively in India and Nepal.
- During the exercise, an infantry battalion each from the Indian Army and the Nepalese Army would train together and share their experiences of counter-terrorism operations and jungle warfare in mountainous terrain.
- The aim of this combined training exercise is to enhance inter-operability between the Indian and the Nepalese army units in jungle warfare and counter terrorism operations in mountainous terrain.
- India's first ‘Water Tourism Festival’ Jal Mahotsav to begin in Madhya Pradesh's
- The government today launched Project Sunrise at Imphal for prevention of AIDS in the North-Eastern states.
- The project is aimed to diagnose 90% of such drug addicts with HIV and put them under treatment by 2020.
- Important Points to Note :
- According to the latest government data, North-eastern states like Manipur, Mizoram and Nagaland account for highest adult (15-49 years) HIV prevalence in the country.
- Estimates of 2015 show Manipur tops the list with adult HIV prevalence of 1.15%, followed by Mizoram (0.80%), Nagaland (0.78%), Andhra Pradesh & Telangana (0.66%), Karnataka (0.45%), Gujarat (0.42%) and Goa (0.40%). The national average for adult HIV prevalence is estimated at 0.26% in 2015.
- The IRCTC today launched four 'Bharat Darshan' special train packages from Delhi and Chandigarh that cover popular destinations in South India and Goa.
- The Naam Foundation, founded by actors Nana Patekar and Makarand Anaspure, donated ₹12.75 lakh to the families of farmers who committed suicide last year.
- The NGO donated ₹15,000 each to the families of 85 farmers who ended their lives due to debt burden and crop failure.
- Odisha has lifted the three-year-old ban on its ruling of not allowing tourists to visit the tribal regions in the state.
- Cutting down the restricted places for foreigners by 50%, the government has allowed foreigners to visit other places with guides.
- The decision was taken after the state, home to 62 tribes, witnessed a decline in the inflow of tourists.
- Due to the increasing number of infectious diseases in the state, Maharashtra government will introduce a bill banning spitting in public places in the upcoming state Legislature Budget session.
- State Health Minister Deepak Sawant said that the government will impose heavy fines on the offenders and make them do social services such as clean public places.
- From 2001 to 2016, seven states accounted for 63% Padma Shri awardees, the fourth highest civilian award in India.
- These seven states include Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Karnataka and Kerala.
- Among these states, most of the Padma Shri awardees hailed from Delhi (19%), while least Padma Shri awardees belonged to Kerala (4%).
- The Chhattisgarh government has signed an MoU with the Ministry of Railways to form a joint venture company with the Indian Railways.
- The venture will identify viable rail projects in the state and implement them.
- Under the MoU, the state government will reportedly have 51% share and the Railways will have the remaining 49% share.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) today announced that the government will repurchase the Inflation-Indexed Bonds (IIBs) maturing in 2023, for an aggregate amount of ₹6,500 crore, through a reverse auction on February 11.
- Note : Inflation-indexed bond is a type of bond in which the principal is indexed to official inflation or deflation data on a daily basis (Wholesale Price Index for India).
- The Delhi government today announced that it has made a record monthly VAT collection of over ₹2,000 crore in January this year.
- India's Commerce Ministry today announced a minimum import price across different grades of steel in a bid to control the surge of cheap imports and stabilise local industries.
- The duty ranges from $341 to $752 per tonne of steel and will be valid for six months.
- Note : This reportedly is the first such restriction in 15 years.
- The Union urban development ministry today approved projects worth Rs 12 crore for improving tourist infrastructure in heritage places of Amaravati in Andhra Pradesh and Warangal in Telangana.
- Consumers who are charged more than the Minimum Retail Price (MRP) by shopkeepers and hotels can now WhatsApp their complaints to Weights and Measures department on 9869691666 or dial 022-22886666 for appropriate action.
People in News
- Gyalsey, the first Royal Child of Bhutan's King Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck and Queen Gyaltsuen Jetsun Pema was born today in Thimphu's Lingkana Palace.
Science & Technology
- Bengaluru-based engineers Ravi Pratap Maddimsetty and Sharath Potharaju have created an app, called ‘WiFire’, that automatically connects a smartphone to any free WiFi network present in proximity.
- Currently available on the Android platform, ‘WiFire’ functions in Bengaluru and is being tested in other cities. It also sends notifications whenever free WiFi-hotspots are available for connecting.
- The new weather-forecasting satellite being developed by ISRO is being built at 60% of the actual cost and in one-third of the estimated time.
- The 301 kg satellite named ScatSat-1 will help predict the beginning of cyclones in oceans. About 300 scientists are working on the satellite, at the Space Applications Centre in Ahmedabad.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated the Brahmaputra Cracker and Polymer Limited (BCPL) at Lepetkata, Assam and dedicated the facility to the nation.
- It is the first ever petro-chemical plant located in the entire North-Eastern region of India.
- It has been built at cost of 10000-crore rupees and shall be producing raw material for manufacturing plastic.
- India's largest wax producing plant was inaugurated by PM Narendra Modi in Assam.
- A part of the public sector Numaligarh Refinery Ltd, the ₹676 crore wax plant is capable of producing 50,000-metric tonne wax.
- The plant aims to cut down paraffin wax import, and meet the entire demand for microcrystalline wax, which is currently being 100% imported.
- Renowned political cartoonist Sudhir Tailang (55) passed away.
- Tailang worked with brands like Indian Express, Hindustan Times and Times of India among others.
- He was awarded Padma Shri in 2004 for his contribution in the art of cartooning.
- The sixth man to walk on the moon, astronaut Edgar Mitchell (65), passed away.
- As part of the Apollo 14 mission in 1971, he worked over nine hours on the Moon's surface.
- Mitchell and Apollo 14 commander Alan Shepard Jr set the record for the longest lunar stay time at 33 hours.
- Shane Watson became the most expensive player of IPL 2016.
- Royal Challenge Bangalore bought him for ₹9.5 crore.
- Pawan Negi became the most expensive Indian player to be bought at the IPL Auction 2016.
- He was signed by Delhi Daredevils for ₹8.5 crores, eclipsing the ₹7 crores paid for Yuvraj Singh by SunRisers Hyderabad.
- Negi, who played for Chennai Super Kings in the IPL last season, was also picked in the Indian squad for the World T20.
- India's first professional e-sports league called the Indian Gaming League (IGL) was launched.
- The league would be played both online and offline, with city and game-specific franchises, and will also give players and teams a chance to represent India in international competitions.
- On the opening day of the 2016 South Asian Games, India won a total of 19 medals— 14 gold and 5 silver medals.
- The Indians won seven medals in Swimming, five in Wrestling, three in Weightlifting and four in Cycling. Though Sri Lanka tallied 21 medals, they only had four gold medals, giving India the top spot.
- South Asian Games 2016 Medal Tally (1st Day)
- Gold - 14
- Silver - 5
- Bronze - 0
- Total - 19
- Sri Lanka
- Gold - 4
- Silver - 10
- Bronze - 7
- Total - 21
- Gold - 1
- Silver - 2
- Bronze - 3
- Total - 6
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here