- The 13th edition of World Spice Congress (WSC) began today at Ahmedabad, Gujarat.
- Theme of WSC 2016 : ‘Target 2020: Clean, Safe and Sustainable Supply Chain’.
- President Pranab Mukherjee today declared Kerala as India's first fully digital state.
- Mukherjee also informed that the state has a mobile tele-density of 95% and internet access covering over 60% of the population.
- Union Minister Maneka Gandhi today announced that the Centre is formulating a policy to reward school boys who behave well with girls.
- Maneka added that the government wants to include alarm buttons on mobile phones of women that will help them seek police assistance during distress.
- Nation remembers Great freedom fighter Chandra ShekharAzad (23rd July 1906 – 27th February 1931) on his Death Anniversary today.
- He was a great Indian freedom fighter who was involved in Kakori Train Robbery, the attempt to blow up the Viceroy's train, and the shooting of Saunders at Lahore to avenge the killing of Lala Lajpat Rai.
- He was the mentor of Bhagat Singh, another great freedom fighter.
- After the independence, to commemorate Chandra Shekhar Azad, Alfred Park (Allahabad), where Chandra Shekhar Azad shot himself was renamed Chandra Shekhar Azad Park.
Business & Economy
Science & Technology
People in News
- Vedanta Limited, a global diversified natural resource company, won India’s first-ever gold mining lease auctioned by the Chhattisgarh government.
- The gold mine at Baghmara in Baloda Bazar district, about 140 km north-east of Raipur, is one of the oldest explored deposit of the precious metal in Central India.
- Important Points to Note :
- India imports about 1,000 tonnes of gold every year.
- Gold is the second-highest component of the imports bill after crude oil.
- Last year, the Centre launched a gold monetisation scheme aimed at reducing physical gold demand and luring tonnes of gold from households into the banking system.
- An estimated 20,000 tonnes of gold are lying with households and temples in India.
- India ranks first in Milk Production, accounting for 18.5% of World production.
- Moody’s Investors Service has downgraded the credit rating of Oman, the poorest Gulf Arab country on the basis of economic output per person, for the first time since issuing its initial rating in 1999.
- Moody’s cut Oman’s rating by two levels to A3, citing the negative impact of lower oil prices on government finances, economic performance and balance-of-payments.
Science & Technology
- World's first Boeing 727 is set to make its last flight, from Paine Field to Boeing Field International (Washington), on March 2nd 2016.
- After the flight, the plane will be permanently displayed at the Museum of Flight in the US.
- Note : The aircraft, which has not been airborne since 1991, had made its first flight on February 9, 1963.
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar today announced that India will induct three to four indigenously developed Light Combat Aircraft Tejas in 2016 and Eight squadrons in eight years.
- Parrikar also informed the Lok Sabha that India's share in global arms imports has reduced from 15% to 14%, bringing down India's arms import bill to ₹24,900 crore from ₹35,000 crore.
- Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) is working to establishment of a Satellite Tracking & Data Reception Station and Data Processing Facility for ASEAN Member countries in Vietnam.
- ISRO will set up this satellite centre at the behest of Union Government as part of Space Cooperation between India and Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN).
People in News
- Nearly four years after conquering Mount Everest, Indian mountaineer Toolika Rani has conquered Mount Kilimanjaro, the highest peak in Africa, between February 17 and 22.
- Rani, a retired officer of Indian Air Force, is also the only Indian woman to climb Mount Damāvand, the highest volcano of Asia, located in Iran.
- Amitabh Bachchan and Deepika Padukone-starrer 'Piku' is dominating nominations at the Times Of India Film Awards (TOIFA) 2016, to be held on March 18.
- The film is leading in seven categories including best film and best actor.
- The Shoojit Sircar directorial has also been nominated in categories like best director, best actress, best supporting actor and two critics’ choice awards.
- “Bajirao Mastani” actor Ranveer Singh will be honoured with Dinanath Mangeshkar Award 2016.
- Ashwini Nangia has been appointed as the Director of the CSIR-National Chemical Laboratory, Pune.
- Justice Vineet Saran was today sworn-in as the Chief Justice of Orissa High Court.
- Expedia, the online travel company, has appointed Jonathon Sinclair Neal as the Chief Executive Officer of AAE Travel, a joint venture between AirAsia and Expedia Inc.
- BK Garudachar (99), India’s oldest first-class cricketer and former captain of Mysore passed away today.
- A right-handed batsman and a leg-break bowler Garudachar scored 1,126 runs and took 100 wickets in 27 first-class matches.
- Malayalam director Rajesh Pillai (41) who is accredited with films like 'Traffic' (2011) and 'Mili' (2015) passed away.
- India defeated Pakistan by five wickets in their second match of the Asia Cup today.
- Batting first, Pakistan were dismissed for 83 with Hardik Pandya taking three wickets and just two Pakistani batsmen registering double-digit scores.
- Despite Mohammad Amir's three early wickets including both Indian openers for ducks, Virat Kohli's 49(51) helped India achieve the target in 15.3 overs.
- The opening day of the National Race Walking Championships in Jaipur saw as many as seven Indians in the 20 km category better the Olympic qualification timings.
- Note : Gurmeet Singh clinched the Gold in men’s category and Khushbir Kaur won the women’s event.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here