Awards & Honors
Business & Economy
- Today (22nd February) is Twins day.
- Today is World Thinking Day.
- Colombia's Constitutional Court has banned Oil, Gas and Mining operations in the country's high altitude ecosystems called the 'paramos'.
- Mahamaham festival concluded today at Kumbakonam (Tamil Nadu) with religious fervor.
- The nine-day festival, known as the 'Kumbh Mela of the south', concluded today, with conduct of the most important event 'theerthavari', witnessed by lakhs of people.
- This is a Hindu festival celebrated every 12 years in the Mahamaham tank located in the South Indian town of Kumbakonam.
- Note : The last Mahamaham was celebrated on March 6, 2004.
- In the first ever meeting of head priests, Travancore Devaswom Board today decided to continue Sabarimala temple's entry restriction on women between 10 and 50 years.
- Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis today announced that the state government will offer interest-free loans to women self-help groups (SHGs) in the state.
- The CM also announced that the SHG malls will be set up in every district of Maharashtra, with the first to be set up in Nagpur.
- The West Bengal government is planning to get Geographical Identification (GI) tag for four traditional sweetmeat delicacies of the state with a view to protect them from imitations and for exporting them in future.
- The four sweetmeats for which GI tags are being sought are,
- 'Moa' of Jainagar,
- 'Sarpuria' of Krishnagar,
- 'Sitabhog' and 'Mihidana' of Burdwan.
- Note : A GI tag is a sign used on products that have a specific geographical origin and possess qualities or a reputation that are due to that origin.
Awards & Honors
- Six Indian-Americans are among the 106 people who will receive the Presidential Early Career Awards for Scientists and Engineers from US President Barack Obama.
- They are,
- Milind Kulkarni,
- Kiran Musunuru,
- Sachin Patel,
- Vikram Shyam,
- Shwetak Patel,
- Rahul Mangharam.
- Note : Presidential Early Career Award is the US government’s highest honour for young independent researchers.
- Tamil movie, Kanavu Variyam, directed by Arun Chidambaram has won the Remi Award of the 49th WorldFest-Houston International Film Festival.
- This is reportedly the oldest independent film & video festival in the world.
- The Remi award is given to independent films and filmmakers.
- Senior IRS officer Jayant Misra has been appointed as Director General (DG) of Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI).
- Prior to this appointment, he was serving as Director General (Systems) of Systems and Data Management based in New Delhi.
- He is going to replace Najib Shah, Chairman of Central Board of Excise and Customs who was holding the charge as DG of DRI.
- Indian Railway Officer Vinay Kumar Singh has been appointed as Managing Director of National Capital Region Transport Corporation (NCRTC).
- Prior to this appointment, he was working with Rail Vikas Nigam Limited (RVNL), a railway PSU involved in the study of high speed rail corridors.
- Justice Vineet Saran will be the new Chief Justice of Orissa High Court.
- Prior to his present appointment, he was officiating as a senior judge of Karnataka High Court.
- Note : The post of Orissa Chief Justice was lying vacant ever since Justice D. H. Waghela took over as the CJ of Bombay High Court in February 15.
- Justice Pradeep K. Mohanty was officiating as acting CJ here since then.
Business & Economy
- The Indian rupee slumped to a fresh 30-month low against the US dollar as the currency touched a low of 68.69 today.
- Note : The rupee had hit an all-time low of 68.89 on August 28, 2013.
- Parliament's Budget Session will begin tomorrow with President's address to the joint sitting of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha.
- During the session, the Rail Budget will be presented on 25th February and General Budget will be presented on 29th February.
- Belgium-based securities settlement company Euroclear has reportedly agreed to a model suggested by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to settle Indian government debt papers in the overseas market.
- Under this model, the overseas debts will be cleared in India through Indian brokers.
- Further, foreign institutional investors using the Euroclear platform to trade in India need not register in India to settle their investments.
- The RBI has cancelled registration of as many as 26 non-banking financial companies (NBFCs) including Bajaj Auto Holdings and IDFC Finance Ltd.
- Important Points to Note :
- The Reserve Bank can cancel a certificate of registration granted to a non-banking financial institution on various grounds including when a company ceases to carry on the business of an NBFC in India.
- The registration is also liable to get cancelled if the entity doesn't comply with any condition subject to which the certificate of registration had been issued to it.
- India's first Women's Ice Hockey team from Ladakh is crowdfunding its first international tour to Taipei, China.
- After qualifying for the International Ice Hockey Federation (IIHF) Ice Hockey Challenge Cup of Asia, 2016, they needed funds to travel.
- They have now reached 90 percent of their goal at the crowdfunding platform, Milaap.
- The Jaypee Punjab Warriors has won the 4th edition of Coal India Hockey India League (HIL) title 2016.
- Important Note : It was their maiden title.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here