- A 34-year-old Chinese man has contracted the Zika virus after travelling to South America, marking the first case of the virus in China.
- Meanwhile, China's National Health and Family Planning Commission has announced that the chances of the virus spreading across China were "low" due to the cold temperature and lack of mosquito activity.
- UAE's PM Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum today announced that the country now has appointed Ministers for 'happiness' and 'tolerance' in a major cabinet reshuffle.
- Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan arrives New Delhi on a three-day visit.
- Note : This is his first state visit to India.
- During this visit, India and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) are going to sign a civil nuclear cooperation agreeme
- After decades of delay and inaction, the Hindu minority community in Pakistan will soon have a marriage law as a parliamentary panel has unanimously approved the Hindu Marriage Bill.
- Note : The panel adopted the bill unanimously after making two amendments to fix the minimum age of marriage at 18 and making the law applicable to the whole country.
- Today (10th February) is National Deworming Day.
- This day is being observed to combat parasitic worm infections among preschool and school-age children across India.
- Today India attempted the world's largest deworming programme, covering 27 crore children from 11 states and 1 union territory.
- The central government has installed 1,356 mobile towers in Maoist-hit areas, as part of a ₹3,046 crore project to set up mobile towers in nine Maoist-hit states like Jharkhand and Odisha.
- Note : The towers have been installed in police stations or paramilitary camps.
- A job fair for the transgender community was organised in Chennai.
- Held under the supervision of the Chennai police, the fair aimed to provide good employment opportunities for the people of the third gender.
- Police made a database of all those who attended the fair so that they can be contacted for jobs later.
- The Madras High Court today directed the Home Ministry to consider conferring Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose with the Bharat Ratna.
- The court further asked the Ministry to consider declaring his birth anniversary, January 23, as a public holiday.
- The Maharashtra government today sanctioned ₹100 crore as funding towards the ongoing development work of Greenfield Shirdi airport.
- The amount will be utilised for extending the airport's runway from 2,200 metres to 3,200 metres.
- The airport would be operational in the area by 2017-18.
- Note : Shirdi attracts about 15,000 devotees every day because of the Sai Baba temple.
Business & Economy
- The Noor Ouarzazate Solar Complex, world’s largest solar power plant, was opened in the Souss-Massa-Drâa area in Morocco.
- The plant holds the capacity to produce enough energy to power over one million homes by 2018 and reduce carbon emissions by an estimated 760000 tons per year.
Science & Technology
- Union Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh today announced that India has retained its position as the world's highest milk producing country in 2014-2015.
- With a total milk production of 146.31 million tonnes, India also witnessed a record enhancement of 6.3% from the previous year's production against the 2.2% global increase.
- Note : India has been topping this chart since 1997.
People in News
- Mukesh Bansal, Flipkart's Head of Commerce and Advertising and Myntra's Co-founder, has quit Flipkart.
- Note : Ankit Nagori, Flipkart's Chief Business Officer, has also resigned.
- Both Bansal and Nagori have quit the company to start their own respective ventures.
- Bengaluru-based rental marketplace Rentomojo today appointed Munjal Dhamecha as its first Chief Technology Officer (CTO). D
- South African batsman Quinton de Kock became the quickest batsman to score 10 ODI hundreds after his 135 against England in the third ODI.
- De Kock reached the milestone in 55 innings, two fewer than his teammate, Hashim Amla. At 23 years, 54 days, de Kock also became the youngest to reach 10 ODI hundreds, beating Virat Kohli's record.
- Cricket Australia has announced that after feedback from players, the pink cricket ball to be used in day-night test matches will now have a black seam instead of white.
- The black seam ball will be used in the next round of Sheffield Shield matches in Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth, in a bid to improve visibility of the ball for players.
- South African batsman David Miller has been named the captain of Kings XI Punjab team for the upcoming Indian Premier League season 9.
- Note : Miller has been associated with Kings XI since IPL season 4.
- SouthAsianGames2016 Medal Tally
- Gold - 114
- Silver - 59
- Bronze - 13
- Total - 186
- Sri Lanka
- Gold - 21
- Silver - 44
- Bronze - 61
- Total - 126
- Gold - 7
- Silver - 18
- Bronze - 32
- Total - 57
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here