Business & Economy
Books & Authors
- Sri Lanka today embarked on the exercise of making a new Constitution for the country by resolving to convert the current Parliament into a Constitutional Assembly.
- The resolution to draft a new constitution was presented to the parliament by Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe.
- Following this, President Maithripala Sirisena addressed the Parliament and called upon all parties to unite to create the 3rd Republican Constitution for the country.
- According to the Prime Minister, the main aim of the exercise is to abolish the executive presidential system, ensure reconciliation with minorities and usher in wide ranging electoral reforms.
- Relations between Iran and Saudi Arabia deteriorated even further today as Tehran (capital of Iran) severed all commercial ties with Riyadh and accused Saudi jets of attacking its embassy in Yemen's capital.
- Today (9th January 2016) is 14th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas.
- This day is celebrated in India to mark the contribution of the overseas Indian community to the development of India.
- The day commemorates the return of Mahatma Gandhi from South Africa in Bombay on 9 January 1915.
- This day was first observed in the year 2003.
- Human Resource Minister Smriti Irani has inaugurated the 43rd edition of the New Delhi World Book Fair.
- Important Points to Note :
- China is the guest of honour country.
- Theme : Presentation of the cultural heritage of India.
- This nine-day fair is largest book fair in Asia.
- This fair is hosting around 30 countries.
- In order to prevent misuse of Senior Citizen Concession and Quota, the Railways will act tough against passengers who have declared wrong age by treating them as without tickets.
- The new rule will be applicable from 1st February 2016.
- In Andhra Pradesh, two-day Flamingo Festival at the famous brackish water Pulicat Lake town in Sullurupeta of Nellore district begins today.
- In Rajasthan, the famous two-day Camel Festival began at Bikaner, with a traditional procession.
- Jammu & Kashmir today came under Governor's rule as process of new government formation following the death of Chief Minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed will take some time.
- Britain’s Employment minister Priti Patel and Kolkata Municipal Corporation Mayor Sovan Chatterjee have launched a roadmap for Kolkata’s strategy to become a “low-carbon and climate resilient city”.
- Following the elevation of its chief operating officer Abidali Neemuchwala as CEO, Wipro has appointed Bhanumurthy BM, president and chief executive of the business application services (BAS) business as a new COO (Chief Operating Officer).
- Private sector non-life insurance firm SBI General Insurance has appointed Pushan Mahapatra as its new Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer.
- This post was vacated after Bhaskar J Sarma retired on December 31, 2015.
- Note : SBI General Insurance is a joint venture between State Bank of India and Insurance Australia Group.
- Bharti Airtel has named Rakesh Bharti Mittal as non-executive Director in place of Rajan Bharti Mittal.
- Rajan Bharti Mittal quit his position effective January 7, 2016.
Business & Economy
- The Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas (MoPNG) has launched an Online Initiative to engage the LPG Consumers and Citizens of India in providing efficient and citizen friendly services in LPG distribution.
Books & Authors
- An annotated edition of Adolf Hitler's “Mein Kampf” has gone on sale in Germany.
- It is the first version of the notorious manifesto to be published in the country since World War II, and contains academic notes which are critical of Hitler.
- Former world number one Victoria Azarenka won her first title since 2013 by beating Angelique Kerber in the Brisbane International final.
- Sania Mirza-Martina Hingis pair won Brisbane International women's doubles title.
Note : Current Affairs of 10th and 11th January 2016 will be available soon
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here