- Today (6th January 2016) is World Day for War Orphans.
- This day was initiated by the French organisation, SOS Enfants en Detresses.
- Held on 6th January each year, this special day enables the International Community to recognise the plight of a particularly vulnerable group.
- North Korea today claimed that it has successfully tested hydrogen bomb.
- Government decides to jump from Bharat Stage-4 to Bharat Stage-6 from 1st April, 2020 to curb vehicular pollution.
- At present, BS IV norms are followed in parts of India and by April 1, 2017, the whole of the country is scheduled to be covered under it.
- The Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) will soon deploy about 300 women commandos for undertaking operations in some of the states affected by Naxal extremism.
- Note : Recently, the Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) had declared that it will post its women personnel in full combat role at its units along the Sino-Indian border.
- Director General of CRPF : Prakash Mishra
- The Union Cabinet has given its ex-post-facto approval for the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Bangladesh for
- MoU and Mode of Operation of Border Haats signed on 23.10.2010 with Bangladesh for setting up Border Haats on India-Bangladesh Border,
- addendum to the MoU signed on 15.5.2012;
- to establish new Border Haats after identification of suitable locations in consultation with Government of Bangladesh and concerned State Governments and
- to modify/revise the terms and condition of the above MoU/Addendum in consultation with relevant State Governments/Central Government agencies and Government of Bangladesh.
- Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt, convicted in 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case, will be released on February 27 from Pune’s high-security Yerawada Central Prison.
- Filippo Grandi was appointed as the new High Commissioner for UNHCR.
- UNHCR - United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR)
- He is succeeding António Guterres who left last week after more than 10 years in office.
- Mobile Internet body IAMAI has appointed FreeCharge co-founder and CEO Kunal Shah as its Chairman.
- The government has reduced export duty on iron ore pellets to zero from 5 percent, a move that will make the commodity more competitive amid subdued demand and weakening prices.
- Note : In 2014, the government had levied a 5 percent export duty on iron ore pellets, which are value-added products of leftover material or low-grade iron ore and are used in steel-making.
- Steel and Mines Minister : Narendra Singh Tomar
- The government today approved an assistance of Rs.2,553 crore for Andhra Pradesh, Odisha and Uttar Pradesh to help them handle the fallout of drought and compensate farmers for crop damage.
- The assistance to these drought-hit states comes in addition to the Rs.8,594 crore approved at the end of last year for Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Chhattisgarh and Karnataka.
- Instagram will hold its first ever photograph exhibition in India tomorrow where photos generated from the photo and video sharing app will be displayed.
- The social media app, owned by Facebook, will put on display community generated Instagram posts around the theme 'Celebrating Diversity of Bengal' at the ICCR gallery Kolkata.
- India's Apurvi Chandela sets a new world record by clinching Gold medal in women's 10 metre air rifle at Swedish Cup Grand Prix.
- Note : Chandela has already qualified for the Rio Olympics.
- Temba Bavuma became the first black South African to make a test century against England.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here