- Pakistan PM Nawaz Sharif today called up PM Narendra Modi and assured that Islamabad will take prompt and decisive action against terrorists.
- Both the leaders spoke in the aftermath of the terrorist attack on the Pathankot airbase.
- Modi strongly emphasized the need for Pakistan to take firm and immediate action against the organizations and individuals responsible for the attack.
- Mr Modi said that the specific and actionable information in this regard has been provided to Pakistan
- Jharkhand Chief Minister Raghubar Das today inaugurated the state's land bank web portal, jharbhoom.nic.in, that would help investors know land-related information.
- With this, one would be able to get information about the land which is available at the district and the circle area level with a click of a mouse.
- This land bank will help investors get information through district-wise nodal officers.
- A total of 160 villages electrified last week under Deendayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana.
- Of the electrified villages, 57 fall in Chhattisgarh, 40 in Odisha, 27 in Bihar, 16 in Rajasthan, nine each in Jharkhand and Uttar Pradesh and one village each in the states of Tripura and Assam.
- Note : The central government has decided to electrify remaining 18,452 un-electrified villages by May 1, 2018.
- Power Minister : Piyush Goyal
- The National Green Tribunal directs the Centre and UP govt to take a clear stand on a mechanism to clean Ganga river from Haridwar to Kanpur.
- The NGT said Haridwar to Kanpur section of the river contains very high pollution by industrial trade effluents and huge quantity of sewage being discharged into the Ganga.
- Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI) has joined hands with the Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC) to develop a battery for passenger cars using technology which is in use to make batteries for space vehicles.
- Former Chief Justice of India Sarosh Homi Kapadia, who delivered some landmark judgements passed away.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) imposes a penalty of 1 crore rupees on an SBI associate bank, State Bank of Travancore (SBT), for violation of some of its instructions.
- The monetary penalty has been imposed for violation of its instructions including reporting of data to Central Repository of Information on Large Credits (CRILC).
- The Odisha government today increased the Value Added Tax (VAT) on petrol and diesel by three per cent each, making the fuel dearer.
- IT industry body Nasscom today opposed Airtel Zero and Free Basics type platforms which it feels violate net neutrality principles by differentiating internet access for certain types of services.
- Nasscom President : R Chandrashekhar
- The LIC (Life Insurance Corporation of India) has launched a new Limited Premium, non-linked, with profit Endowment Plan called LIC Jeevan Labh.
- This plan is available for purchase from 4th January, 2016.
- The highlight of the plan is that premium is payable for a limited period while risk is covered for the whole policy term.
- British writer Kate Atkinson has won the novel-of-the-year prize at Britain's Costa Book Awards 2015 for the second time in three years.
- She fetched the award for A God in Ruins, a story of war and its aftermath.
- With this, Atkinson became the first author to receive the Costa novel prize three times :
- A God in Ruins in 2016,
- Life After Life in 2013
- Behind the Scenes at the Museum in 1995
- India's third largest software exporter Wipro has named former TCS veteran and current chief operating officer Abidali Neemuchwala as its new Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
- Current CEO TK Kurien, who completes five years as CEO later in January, will become executive vice chairman effective February 1.
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) has won the 26th Lal Bahadur Shastri hockey tournament by beating Indian Railways.
- Mumbai school cricketer Pranav Dhanawade became the first player to score 1000 runs in a single innings.
- He broke the previous record of 628 set by Arthur Collins in 1899.
- Australia withdraws from Under-19 World Cup Cricket tournament in Bangladesh citing security reasons.
- VVS Laxman's knock of 281 against Australia in Eden Gardens in 2001 has been rated as the greatest Test performance of the last 50 years.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here