- Italy's Ostana town recently witnessed the first birth of a baby in the past 28 years.
- Today (30th January) is National Martyrs' Day.
- This day is also known as Sarvodaya day / Shaheed Diwas.
- We observe this day to commemorate 68th death anniversary of Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi.
- Note : On this day in 1948, Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated at a prayer meeting.
- The Cultural Ministry has today confirmed that Ahmedabad has been selected as this year's nomination from India for the UNESCO world heritage city tag.
- Delhi and Mumbai were also in the tentative list, but were rejected later.
- Important Note : Even though there are over 250 heritage cities in the world, India has no UNESCO-recognised world heritage city till date.
- Vice Admiral Girish Luthra, took charge as the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Southern Naval Command (FOC-in-C, South) today.
- Note : He took over the charge from Vice Admiral Sunil Lanba, who will take charge as Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief of the Western Naval Command.
- The Maharashtra government today announced the appointment of Dattatray Padsalgikar as the new Mumbai Police Commissioner.
- He is going to replace Ahmed Javed.
- Important Note : He is the first Maharashtrian to be appointed as the police chief of Mumbai after eight years.
- Union Government has appointed Dr. Kamlesh Kumar Pandey as the Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities (CCPD) for a period of three years.
Awards & Honors
- Actor Tom Hanks has been named America's favourite movie star, in a new online survey, by market research firm 'The Harris Poll'.
- Rounding up the top three spots were Johnny Depp followed by Denzel Washington.
- To commemorate the occasion of 150th birth anniversary of Lala Lajpat Rai, the Ministry of Culture released a commemorative coin of 150 rupees and a circulation coin of 10 rupees.
- The Commemorative Coin of 150 rupees is made of Quaternary alloy with diameter of 44 mm and weight of 35 grams.
- The Circulation coin of 10 rupees is made of bi-metallic material with diameter of 27 mm and weight of 7.71 grams.
- K. Purushotham Rao, eminent pharmacist and head of the Hyderabad Karnataka Education Society’s College of Pharmacy, has bagged the prestigious IAPST Pharmaceutical Professional of the Year Award for 2015.
- IAPST - Indian Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists and Technologists
- Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has been chosen for the prestigious K Veeramani Social Justice Award.
- He has been chosen for this award for his immense contribution for the cause of social justice especially for upliftment of weaker and marginalised sections of the society.
- Indian Author and foreign affairs expert Nisid Hajari has won the prestigious 2016 William E. Colby Award for his book Midnight’s Furies: The Deadly Legacy of India’s Partition.
- This book is based on partition history of India and Pakistan in 1947 and the violence that surrounded it.
- General KV Krishna Rao, the 14th Chief of the Army Staff of Indian Army passed away today.
- Veteran journalist TN Gopakumar passed away today.
- Popularly known as TNG, he was the editor-in-chief of Asianet news and has anchored and produced a show "Kannadi" on the channel for 22 years.
- A recipient of Kerala Sahithya Academy award, Gopakumar worked with BBC and the Indian Express among others.
Business & Economy
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will reportedly announce the sixth Bi-monthly monetary policy review for the current financial year on 2nd February 2016.
- Important Points to Note :
- The RBI, in 2015, reduced key policy rates by 1.25 percentage points to 6.75%.
- Meanwhile, Bank of America Merrill Lynch said that it expects the RBI to further cut the repo rate by 0.25 percentage points in the review.
- Flipkart has announced a monthly exchange programme 'Big Exchange Days' under which it will let users exchange and upgrade their devices on the first two days of every month.
- Starting from February 1 this year, Flipkart will let users exchange their smartphones, tablets, laptops, televisions, refrigerators and washing machines.
- The RBI has increased the Ways and Means Advances (WMAs) for all states to ₹32,225 crore per year compared to the earlier ₹15,360 allotted for the current and the next financial year.
- Note : The Reserve Bank, through the WMA, provides financial accommodation to the states to meet any temporary mismatches in the cash flow of their payments and receipts.
- US-based 110-year-old firm Xerox today announced its plans to split into two independent companies– hardware business and services business.
- India today agreed to supply 300 MW of electricity to energy-starved Nepal in the next one-and- a-half year as the two sides decided to expedite construction of cross-border transmission lines and boost bilateral cooperation including in power trade.
- Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba's wholesale trading platform opened its first Indian physical trade facility in Jaipur today.
- Note : Alibaba also launched a dedicated Hindi portal to connect Indian small and medium businesses with global buyers.
- ICC Under-19 World Cup
- India beat New Zealand by 120 runs and seal a quarterfinal berth.
- Player of the Match : Avesh Khan
- Australian Open 2016
- Angelique Kerber has won Australian Open women's singles title and her first Grand Slam by beating Serena Williams.
- Indian men's number one badminton player, Kidambi Srikanth made it to the final of the Syed Modi Grand Prix Gold in Lucknow after beating Boonsak Ponsana of Thailand.
- He will play China's Huang Yuxiang in the final clash tomorrow.
- Ayonika Paul became the 11th Indian shooter to clinch an Olympic quota as she qualified for the Women’s 10m Air Rifle event at Rio 2016.
- She won silver medal at the Asian Shooting Olympic Qualifiers in New Delhi yesterday.
- Batsman Hamilton Masakadza has been appointed Zimbabwe's new cricket captain, replacing Elton Chigumbura who resigned on the recent tour of Bangladesh.
- The 32-year-old Masakadza is the most experienced player on the Zimbabwe team having played 29 Tests and 165 one-day internationals.
- Legspinner Graeme Cremer is the new vice-captain.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here