People in news
Science & Technology
- Nepal has been elected to the Unicef executive board, representing the group of Asia-Pacific countries for the term 2016-2018.
- Syrian Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Affairs Minister Walid Al Moualem, is on a four-day visit to India.
- During this visit, he will hold talks with External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and other leaders to seek India’s support for President Bashar al-Assad ahead of peace talks in Geneva.
- Note : The visit assumes importance in view of fresh initiatives taken by the UN to bring about peace in war-torn Syria, where more than 300,000 people have been killed in the past four years and seven million have fled to other countries.
- Former Gujarat cadre IAS officer Devender Kumar Sikri has taken oath as the Chairman of Competition Commission of India (CCI).
- He will become the third chairman of the fair trade regulator.
- He will succeed Ashok Chawla, who superannuated on January 7.
- Additional Secretary of Home Affairs, Sailesh was appointed as the Registrar General and Census Commissioner of India.
- Sailesh, a 1985 batch IAS officer of Assam-Meghalaya cadre, is presently Additional Secretary in Home Ministry.
- He will replace C Chandramouli, who completed his tenure.
- e-commerce firm Flipkart today appointed Binny Bansal as the Chief Executive Officer and Sachin Bansal as the Executive Chairman.
- Homegrown smartphone vendor Micromax has appointed Vikas Thapar as its new senior Vice President for finance.
- 73rd Golden Globe Awards
- Famous Titanic actor Leonardo Di Caprio recieved the Best Actor award for his performance in 'The Revenant'.
- The Revenant also took two more honours in the Best Movie and Best Director categories.
- Brie Larson has won the Best Actress award for the, Room.
- Check complete winners list of 73rd Golden Globe Awards 2016 from here.
- Veteran poet Balkrishna Garg was honoured with the second edition of Harikrishna Devsare Baalsahitya Award 2015 for his collection of poems for children titled ‘Baal Geet’.
- Apart from Mr. Garg, Yogendra Kumar and Hem Bhatnagar were also felicitated for their contributions to childrens literature.
People in news
- A 11-year-old Indian-origin girl Kashmea Wahi, has achieved the top possible score of 162 on a IQ test of Mensa, becoming one of the youngest brainiest students in the country.
- She achieved the top score of 162 out of 162, putting her in the league of scientists Albert Einstein and Steven Hawking and in the top 1 per cent of the country's brightest.
- Srinivas Murthy, senior vice president of marketing at e-commerce major Snapdeal, resigned to start his own venture.
- Note : This is the second major exit at Snapdeal after its Head of Strategy Ranjan Kant quit to join online apparel retailer Jabong as its chief marketplace officer.
Science & Technology
- The government plans to reach up to 50 crore internet subscribers in next 6-7 months, besides installing 2,500 Wi-Fi hotspots at 256 places by the next fiscal, Telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said today.
- The Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) has successfully test fired the new Penetration-Cum Blast (PCB) and Thermobaric (TB) Ammunition tank at Chandipur, Odisha.
- This was specially designed for Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT).
- Noted Hindi writer and journalist Ravindra Kalia (78) passed away.
- He was known for his works like Ghalib Chutti Sharab and Nau Saal Chotti Patni.
- He had served as Director of Bharatiya Jnanpith.
- British Singer David Bowie (69), one of the most influential musicians of his era, has died of cancer.
- The artist's hits include Let's Dance, Changes, Space Oddity, Starman, Modern Love, Heroes, Under Pressure, Rebel Rebel and Life on Mars.
- He was also well known for creating his flamboyant alter ego Ziggy Stardust.
- First female Formula One driver, Maria Teresa de Filippis passed away.
- Note : She was the first woman to compete in a world championship Formula One grand prix.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here