- Today (9th December) is International Anti-Corruption Day.
- The UN General Assembly designated 9th December date as International Anti-Corruption Day in 2003 in order to raise awareness about corruption that has disastrous impacts on development through out the world.
- Theme of 2015 : Break the Corruption Chain
- Top 10 most corrupted countries in the World are
- North Korea
- South Sudan
- Note : India ranked 85th out of 174 countries in the list of least corrupted countries and tied with Sri Lanka, Thailand, Phillipines, Peru, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago and Zambia.
- The 5th Heart of Asia conference on Afghanistan ended today with a commitment from member states to address the menace of terrorism and to foster close economic cooperation to stabilise the war-torn country.
- Leaders and ministers from 14 member countries, including External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj, 17 supporting nations and officials of 12 organisations attended the two-day meet at Islamabad that adopted the Islamabad Declaration which also called on all Afghan Taliban groups to enter into peace talks.
- Important Points to Note :
- Theme of the meeting is "Heart of Asia-Istanbul Process: Enhanced cooperation for countering security threats and promoting connectivity in the Heart of Asia region."
- 14 Member states are : Pakistan, Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, China, India, Iran, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Tajikistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan and UAE.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will visit Pakistan to attend the SAARC Summit likely to
- Important Note : This will be the first prime ministerial visit to Pakistan from India in 12 years.
- US imposes restrictions on Visa free travel for people visiting countries like Syria and Iraq.
- Parliamentary elections of Venezuela 2015 have won by opposition Centre-right Democratic Unity Roundtable (MUD) coalition.
- Maharashtra has become first state to allow the members of state legislature to raise online questions in an effort to move towards complete digitization of the process.
- The step is aimed at bringing the paper work to minimum.
- Note : The experiment was tried for the first time before the ongoing winter session of the state legislature at Nagpur and it has received satisfactory response from the MLAs and MLCs.
- The Parliament has passed the Negotiable Instruments (Amendment) Bill, 2015.
- The Bill seeks to amend 'The Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881' and provides for filing of cheque bounce cases at a place where cheques are presented for clearance and not the place of issue.
- The Bill intends to make cheque-bounce filing of cases more convenient for check payees (person who receives the cheque).
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) today approved creation of buffer stock of pulses to deal with wide fluctuation in prices of pulses and check food inflation.
- The buffer stock will be in place this fiscal itself.
- As per decision, about 50 thousand tonnes of pulses will be procured from the kharif crop and one lakh tonne from the arrivals of current rabi crop.
- Indian-American entrepreneur and philanthropist Frank Islam will be conferred with Uttar Pradesh Ratna Award to recognize his achievements and outstanding contributions in a foreign country.
- Note : The UP Ratna award has been instituted to recognise achievements and outstanding contributions of NRIs who hail from the state.
Science & Technology
- Iran has successfully carried out test of medium range Ghadr-110 ballistic missile near the Chabahar, a port city in southeast of country along the Gulf of Oman.
- The missile, known as a Ghadr-110, has a range of 1,800 – 2000 km, or 1200 miles, and is capable of carrying a nuclear warhead.
- All England and World champion Carolina Marin beats India ace Saina Nehwal to win the Female Player of the Year award from BWF president Poul-Erik Hoyer in Dubai on Monday night.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here