People in News
- Today is International Day for the Abolition of Slavery.
- This day has been adopted by the General Assembly of the United Nations convention for the prevention of the human trafficking and of the exploitation of the human being and of others.
- This Day was first celebrated in 1986.
- The focus of this day is on eradicating contemporary forms of slavery, such as trafficking in persons, sexual exploitation, the worst forms of child labour, forced marriage, and the forced recruitment of children for use in armed conflict.
- Theme of 2015 : Women and Slavery
- Theme of 2014 : Victory over Slavery : Haiti and Beyond
- Today is World Computer Literacy Day.
- The German cabinet has approved plans to commit up to 1,200 soldiers to support the international coalition fighting against Islamic State in Syria.
- The mandate, which requires parliamentary approval, was endorsed by ministers today.
- Today is National Pollution Control Day
- This day is celebrated every year in India in order to give the honor and memorialize the thousands of human beings who had lost their existence because of the Bhopal gas calamity.
- Bhopal gas tragedy was happened in the night of 2nd and 3rd December in the year 1984 because of the unintentional discharge of the poisonous chemical known as Methyl Isocyanate (also called MIC) as well as some other chemicals released from the Union Carbide Chemical Plant positioned in the city.
- The Union Cabinet today approved the setting up of Six new Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) in Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Goa, Jammu, Kerala and Karnataka.
- The total cost for running these IITs would be 1,411.80 crore and will be incurred between 2015-16 and 2018-19.
- Indian government has launched GIAN scheme to boost the quality of the country's higher education through international collaboration.
- GIAN aims at bringing high quality academicians to participate in delivering courses in Indian institutions.
- GIAN - Global Initiative of Academic Networks
- A married daughter is eligible to get government job of her deceased's father on compassionate grounds, the Chhattisgarh High Court has observed today.
- Heavy rains today pounded several parts of Tamil Nadu and inundating most areas of Chennai, severely disrupting flights, train and bus services and forcing postponment of half-yearly school exams even as the state braced for more showers in next four days.
People in News
- Facebook's founder Mark Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla Chan have announced that they will give away 99% of their shares in the company to good causes as they announced the birth of their daughter Max.
- Senior Janata Dal-United legislator Vijay Kumar Choudhary was unanimously elected the Speaker of the Bihar assembly.
- The Reserve Bank of India has signed an agreement with the UK's Prudential Regulation Authority and Financial Conduct Authority for supervisory cooperation and exchange of information.
- Germany's Volkswagen Group today announced recall of over 3 lakh 23 thousand vehicles across its three brands Audi, Skoda and Volkswagen, in India after a government-ordered probe found it using diesel engines equipped with a defeat device which help cheat emission tests.
- The Central Government has released Rs.1,062.27 crore to 13 states as first instalment under the Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT), which aims at ensuring water supply and sewer connections to all households in 500 cities.
- These 13 states are Tamil Nadu, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, West Bengal, Rajasthan, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Chhatisgarh, Odisha, Haryana, Telangana, Jharkhand and Mizoram.
- About AMRUT
- The Atal Mission, launched in June this year, aims at ensuring water supply connections and sewer connections to all urban households in 500 mission cities, besides supplying 135 litres per capita per day water on priority.
- Under this mission, construction of storm water drains, promotion of non-motorised urban transport, provision of parks and green spaces also will be supported.
- Maharashtra is the biggest economy within India at Rs 16.87 lakh crore in terms of gross state domestic product (GSDP), according to the latest report by credit rating agency Brickwork Ratings.
- The state is followed by Tamil Nadu and Uttar Pradesh.
- According to this report, the three fastest-growing states were Bihar (17.06 per cent), MP (16.86 per cent) and Goa (16.43 per cent).
- Indian bodybuilder, Thakur Anoop Singh earned the title of 'Mr World' by winning a gold medal in a world bodybuilding meet in Bangkok, Thailand.
- The Delhi Development Authority (DDA) was awarded with the e-India Award for adopting technology to serve the public better and using resources efficiently through mobile applications.
- Renowned sarangi maestro Sabri Khan (88) Passed away.
- He was honoured with the Padma Bhushan in 2006.
- The second season of the International Premier Tennis League began at Kobe in Japan today.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here