Business & Economy
- China today officially abandoned its controversial one child policy, allowing couples to have a second child amid deepening demographic crisis of shrinking workforce and ageing population in the world's second largest economy.
- Chinese lawmakers passed this historic decision allowing all couples to have two children from January 1, ending its over three and half decades old policy that prevented over 400 million births in the country.
- China today adopted its first counter-terrorism law that grants overarching powers to security agencies amid criticism from the U.S. over privacy and freedom of speech.
- A Parliamentary panel has today suggested the Central government to increase the strength of women personnel in the Delhi Police force to 33% from the existing 9.27%.
- Note : The central government had earlier approved the reservation of 33% for women in "non-gazetted posts from constable to sub-inspector in the police forces of all Union Territories.
Business & Economy
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi today said the government's "Direct Benefit Transfer Scheme" has received a place in the Guinness World Records as the largest direct benefit transfer scheme.
- As of now, already Rs.40,000 crore has been transferred to the accounts of the beneficiaries through different schemes.
- Modi today announced that the Action plan of the 'Start-up India, Stand-up India' will be unveiled on 16th January 2016 and urged the states to help spread this campaign across the country's nook and corner.
- Important Points to Note :
- Modi made the announcement about the campaign in his Independence Day address.
- The programme will be designed to suit Indian conditions and focus would be on ensuring benefits for the youth from the lowest strata of the society.
- The World Bank has approved an additional financial assistance of $35 million to support improved management, planning and development of water resources in the Indus River Basin in Pakistan with better environmental and social considerations.
- Note : This $35 million is in addition to the $38 million given earlier towards improvement of water resources management in the Indus River system.
- State-run Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) has topped the list of Fortune 500 Indian
- Top 10 in Fortune 500 Indian companies List 2015
- Indian Oil Corp (IOC)
- Reliance Industries
- Tata Motors
- State Bank of India (SBI)
- Bharat Petroleum (BPCL)
- Hindustan Petroleum
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC)
- Tata Steel
- Hindalco Industries
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS)
- Justice V.S. Malimath, Chairman of the Karnataka Border Protection Commission and former Chief Justice of Karnataka and Kerala High Courts passed away.
- Indian referee Ashok Kumar has been selected for officiating in the Rio Olympics wrestling events 2016.
- Note : This is the first time in the in the Indian wrestling history that a referee from India will be officiating at the Olympic Games.
- Seasoned Indian luger Shiva Keshavan has won Silver medal at the Asian Championship 2015.
- Gold medal was claimed by Japan's Hidenari Kanayama, and Bronze medal was won by Korea's Dong Hyeon Kim.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here