Awards & Honors
India's former wicket-keeper batsman Syed Kirmani nominated for Col. CK Nayudu Lifetime Achievement Award.
Business & Economy
- Eid-e-Milad-un-Nabi, the birthday of Prophet Muhammad celebrated with religious gaiety and fervour across the world.
- The United Nations General Assembly has adopted the resolution recognizing 5th November as World Tsunami Awareness Day.
- The proposal regarding the World Tsunami Awareness Day was suggested by Japanese Government after the Third UN Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction held in Sendai in March 2015.
- The day will be observed in order to reduce human and economic losses due to natural disasters.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Russian President Vladimir Putin began the 16th India-Russia Annual Summit talks today's evening.
- After the talks, the two sides are expected to sign a number of pacts to expand cooperation in key areas, including defence, nuclear energy, hydrocarbons and trade.
- The talks between the two countries, bound by special and privileged strategic ties, have been taking place alternately in Moscow and New Delhi since 2000.
- National Consumers Day / National Consumers Right Day is observed today with the objective of providing better protection of consumer’s interest.
- This day is being observed since the Consumer Protection Act, 1986 was enacted on this day in 1986.
- Theme of National Consumer Day 2015 : Safe & Healthy Food: Combating Food Adulteration
- Delhi recorded its most polluted day of the year on 23rd December 2015.
- Delhi government has decided to exempt emergency vehicles, CNG cars, vehicles carrying patients, only women drivers, women drivers with child below 12 years of age from the the even-odd scheme in the national capital.
- The even -odd formula will not be applicable on Sunday.
- Note : The Formal notification for Odd-Even Formula will be out on Monday.
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar today dedicated to the nation, the first cable-stayed bridge of North India constructed at Basohali in Kathua district of Jammu and Kashmir.
- The 592-metre bridge constructed over river Ravi on Dunera- Basohli-Bhadharwah road would provide close connectivity between three northern states of Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh and Punjab.
- The Basohli Cable-Bridge is fourth of its kind in India and first in North India and Jammu and Kashmir.
- Gautam H. Bambawale, presently Indian ambassador to Bhutan, was today named India's new high commissioner to Pakistan.
- He will replace T.C.A. Raghavan in Islamabad.
Awards & Honors
- Indian American professor Dr. Rakesh K. Jain has been selected for 2015 National Medal of Science of the United States.
- He will be presented this top award along with 16 other winners by President Barack Obama at a White House ceremony in January 2016.
- A recent survey of the 'International World Leader Index' has ranked Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the 7th spot among the popular state heads.
- This list was topped by US President Barack Obama.
- Top 10 Leaders in the List
- Barack Obama (US President)
- Angela Merkel (German Chancellor)
- David Cameron (UK Prime Minister)
- Francois Hollande (French President)
- Vladimir Putin (Russian President)
- Xi Jinping (Chinese President)
- Narendra Modi (Indian Prime Minsiter)
- Dilma Rousself (Brazillian President)
- Salman bin Abdulaziz al saud (Saudi Arabia King)
- Hassan Rouhani (Iranian President)
Business & Economy
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) extended the deadline for exchanging pre-2005 currency notes of various denominations, including Rs 500 and Rs 1,000, by another six months to June 30, 2016.
- The Reserve Bank had, in June 2015, set the last date for public to exchange pre-2005 banknotes notes as December 31, 2015.
- How to identify pre-2005 notes ?
- The currency notes issued before 2005 do not have the year of printing on the reverse side.
- In notes issued post 2005, the year of printing is visible at the bottom on the reverse.
- Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) has cleared $140 million (Rs 930 crore) from the $302 million (Rs 2,000 crore) fund-of-funds that was launched in August to support venture capital funds.
- The Indian Railways has hiked its Tatkal ticket charges by up to 33% with an aim to improve passenger revenue collections.
- The hike will be effective from tomorrow.
- The Reserve Bank of India has announced that the banks have opened a whopping 19.52 crore accounts under the government's financial inclusion drive, Jan Dhan Yojana till the first week of December.
- Idea Cellular today became the third mobile operator to launch 4G services.
- First : Bharti Airtel
- Second : Vodafone India.
- Former Chief Justice of Karnataka High Court V.S. Malimath (86) passed away.
- He also served as Chairman of the Karnataka Border Protection Commission and Chief Justice of Kerala High Courts.
- The International Tennis Federation has released ITF world champions' list for the year 2015
- 2015 ITF World Champions List
- Men's Singles - Novak Djokovic (Serbia)
- Women's Singles - Serena Williams (the USA)
- Men's Doubles - Jean-Julien Rojer (Netherlands) & Horia Tecau (Romania)
- Women’s Doubles - Sania Mirza (India) & Martina Hingis (Switzerland)
- Juniors - Dalma Galfi (Hungary) & Taylor Fritz (the USA)
- Wheelchair World Champions - JiskeGriffioen (Netherlands) & Shingo Kunieda (Japan)
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here