- Afghanistan has become the 164th WTO member after 11 years of negotiations.
- It also became the 36th least developed country (LDC) to join the global trade body.
- Note : The World Trade Organization (WTO) has formally approved Afghanistan’s membership at its 10th ministerial conference in the Kenyan capital Nairobi.
- The UN Security Council (UNSC) has unanimously adopted resolution to increase sanctions against the Islamic State in Syria and Iraq (ISIS) group and other terrorist groups.
- The resolution seeks to cut off its revenue flows including ransom payments, no matter by whom.
- The resolution was adopted at the first-ever meeting of Finance Ministers of the UNSC.
- This meeting was presided over by Treasury Secretary Jack Lew of the United States, which holds its monthly presidency.
- The three-day long 2nd World Internet Conference was concluded at Wuzen in China.
- Theme of the Conference was : An Interconnected World Shared and Governed by All - Building a Cyberspace Community of Shared Destiny.
- This conference was jointly organized by the Cyberspace Administration of China and the People’s Government of Zhejiang Province.
- Today (19th December) is Goa's Liberation Day.
- It was on December 19, 1961, that Goa was liberated from the Portuguese rule after a prolonged freedom struggle and military operation.
- Nation paid tributes to Ram Prasad Bismil & Ashfaqulla Khan, remembering the sacrifices of these revolutionaries.
- These both were hanged on 19th December 1927 by British rulers during Kakori Revolution (Kakori Conspiracy)
- Less than a month after a public announcement by the Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, West Bengal Cabinet today cleared the proposal for creation of Five new districts in the state.
- The five districts in the offing are,
- Sunderbans (to be carved out of North and South 24-Parganas districts),
- Basirhat (to be carved out of North 24-Parganas),
- Jhargram (to be carved out of West Midnapore and contiguous Junglemahal areas of Bankura, Purulia districts),
- Burdwan Rural and Burwdan Urban (by bifurcating the present Burdwan district),
- Kalimpong (to be carved out of Darjeeling district.
- Seeking to make Uttar Pradesh an environemt-friendly place, the government today decided to enforce the ban on the use of polythene across the state, a month after the Allahabad High Courts direction to prohibit its usage.
- India’s biggest Wildlife Rescue Centre named as "Gorewada Zoo and Wildlife Rescue Centre" has been commissioned at Gorewada near Nagpur, Maharashtra.
- The centre was inaugurated by Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis.
- Union Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas appointed a single-member committee to look into the dispute between Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC) and Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) on Krishna Godavari (KG) gas fields.
- The committee will look into acts of omission and commission and recommend compensation to ONGC from the RIL on account of undue advantage the latter has received due to enrichment of its gas fields from the adjacent blocks belonging to ONGC.
- Note : The committee will be headed by the Chairman of the 20th Law Commission of India Justice (retd) Ajit Prakash Shah.
Awards & Honors
- The University of South Florida (USF) has announced a postgraduate fellowship in the name of former president Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam to support accomplished and talented Indian students looking to study abroad.
People in News
- Haryana Vigilance Department registers FIR against former Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda for alleged nepotism in alloting industrial plots in Panchkula.
- Noted telugu writer and theatre artiste Chatla Sriramulu (84) passed away.
- He was instrumental in the establishment of popular literary and cultural organization Rasaranjani which is dedicated to the field of theatre arts.
- He was the recipient of Union Government’s Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in the year 1982.
- He was the first artiste from Andhra Pradesh to receive Emeritus Fellowship from the Human Resources Department of Union Government.
- British children's author Peter Dickinson (88) passed away.
- He was the first author to receive twice the prestigious Carnegie medal.
- He wrote almost 60 books which have been translated into 53 different languages.
- Noorul Huda (86), veteran leader of Communist Party of India (M) of eastern India, passed away.
- Huda, a Muslim Meitei Manipuri, was a member of the Central Committee(CC) of the CPI (M) for nearly three decades.
- He was also member of the Assam State Assembly from 1978 to 1983.
Business & Economy
- World Bank has announced that India became the largest remittances receiving country at 72 billion US dollars this year followed by China at 64 billion US dollars.
- The US emerged as the largest remittance source country with an estimated 56 billion US dollars in outward flows in 2014, followed by Saudi Arabia at 37 billion US dollars, and Russia at 33 billion US dollars in 2014.
- 20th Avadh Commonwealth Table Tennis Championships 2015
- Indian Mens' team claim Historic Gold by beating England.
- Womens' team have won Silver medal.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here