Awards & Honors
People in News
- Cuba and the United States have agreed to restore a direct postal service, suspended 52 years ago at the height of the Cold War.
- The move is part of the rapprochement process that was announced by Presidents Barack Obama and Raul Castro on 17 December last year.
- The two countries have since restored diplomatic ties and reopened Embassies.
- Women in Saudi Arabia have cast their votes for the first time in the country's history.
- Note : Salma al-Rashed was the first woman to register to vote.
- China has handed over two most advanced corvette class warships with ability to sail at a maximum speed of 25.5 knots on the high seas besides versatile combat capacity and excellent manoeuvrability to the Bangladesh Navy today.
- Losoong, the festival of Sikkimese New Year, is being celebrated with traditional gaiety and enthusiasm today.
- The festival, also known as the Sonam Losar or the farmers’ New Year, marks the end of the harvest season in Sikkim.
- The ten-day long festival of Losar is being celebrated today with traditional and religious fervor in Ladakh region of Jammu and Kashmir.
- The Losar festival marks the beginning of New Year in Ladakh.
Awards & Honors
- India-born author Salman Rushdie has been awarded the prestigious Mailer Prize that honours writers who fully exercise their freedom of creativity and thrive on dialogue and debate.
- Note : This prize is named after renowned American writer Norman Mailer, considered among the most influential writers of the second half of the 20th century.
- For the first time, two indian cities Varanasi and Jaipur have made it to the UNESCO's Creative City Network.
- The Director General UNESCO today declared Varanasi and Jaipur under its Creative Cities Network.
- Launched in 2004, the UNESCO Creative Cities Network (UCCN) aims to strengthen cooperation with and among cities that have recognized creativity as a strategic factor of sustainable development as regards economic, social, cultural and environmental aspects.
- The UNESCO Creative Cities Network covers seven creative fields : Crafts and Folk Arts, Design, Film, Gastronomy, Literature, Media Arts, and Music.
- Note : Varanasi will be honored in the City of Craft category and Jaipur will be honored as the City of Music.
- India and Japan today signed 16 agreements in various fields including Defence Equipment and Technology security, infrastructure, education and economy.
- Veteran farmer’s leader and founder of Shetkari Sanghatana Sharad Joshi (81) passed away.
People in News
- Minister of State for External Affairs General V K Singh will represent India at the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) meeting in China next week which will also be attended by Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.
- Venkata Satya Sri Rohan Chikkam, a 13-year-old Indian-origin schoolboy has joined the coveted high IQ Mensa club in the UK after achieving a score of 161 out of a possible 162.
- Indian cyclist Deborah Herold makes history with 4th place in the UCI (Union Cycliste Internationale) individual world ranking.
- She is the first Indian female cyclist to be ranked fourth in the world.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here