- Today (10th December) is Human Rights Day.
- This day is observed to commemorate the day in 1948 when the United Nations adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
- Themes of Human Rights Day
- Theme of 2015 : Our Rights. Our Freedoms. Always
- Theme of 2014 : Celebrating 20 years of changing lives through Human Rights
- Theme of 2013 : 20 Years: Working for Your Rights
- Theme of 2012 : Inclusion and the right to participate in public life” and “Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
- Luxembourg has became the 10th country to ratify the Articles of Agreement (AoA) that will lay the legal framework for the China-initiated Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB).
- Apart from Luxembourg, Australia, Austria, Brunei Darussalam, China, Mongolia, Nepal, New Zealand, Singapore and United Kingdom ratified the 60-article agreement so far.
- The Union Cabinet has gave ex-post facto approval for signing of a memorandum of understanding (MoU) between India and the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland on cooperation in the energy sector.
- The Union Cabinet has approved the Real Estate (Regulation & Development) Bill,
- The Bill will provide uniform regulatory environment to ensure speedy adjudication of disputes and orderly growth of the real estate sector.
People in News
- Bombay High Court today acquitted bollywood actor Salman Khan in the 2002 hit-and-run case, and quashed his conviction and 5-year sentence.
- The court said that on basis of evidences produced by the prosecution, the appellant cannot be convicted, no matter how differently the common man thinks.
Business & Economy
- U.S. based healthcare IT firm eClinicalWorks is going to invest $30 million as part of its expansion plans for the digital healthcare market in India.
- The investment will focus on developing cloud-based technology infrastructure here.
- Homegrown auto components major Bharat Forge today signed a long-term agreement with Rolls-Royce for supply of aero engine parts.
- The pact follows a period of collaboration over the last 18 months to define and secure the necessary level of stringent quality and process approvals.
- India ranks 4th in black money outflows with a whopping USD 51 billion according to Global the Financial Integrity’s (GFI’s) Illicit Financial Flows from Developing Countries: 2004-2013 Report.
- China topped the list with USD 139 billion average outflow of illicit finances per annum, followed by Russia (USD 104 billion per annum) and Mexico (USD 52.8 billion per annum).
Science & Technology
- The World’s first dengue fever vaccine Dengvaxia was cleared by Mexico for public use.
- Note : It took 20 years and more than 1.5 billion euros (USD 1.6 billion) in research and development to create Dengvaxia.
Awards & Honors
- German Chancellor Angela Merkel was named as Time Magazine Person of the Year 2015.
- The magazine cited her role in Europe’s crisis over migration and Greek debt.
- Check complete details about Time Magazine Person of the year award from here
- Two Indians, Kartik Sawhney and Neha Swain have won the Queen’s Young Leaders award in the U.K. for their exceptional work in transforming the lives of others and making a lasting difference in their communities.
- The Indian leg of this year’s International Premier Tennis League (IPTL) began at the Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium in New Delhi today.
- The first match was played between Japan Warriors and UAE Royals.
- Former Sri Lanka captain Mahela Jayawardene has been awarded honorary life membership of the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) in recognition of his "stellar career".
- Note : Jayawardene becomes the 14th Sri Lankan to be honored with Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) Honorary Life Membership, joining former teammates Kumar Sangakkara, Muttiah Muralitharan and Chaminda Vaas on the list.
- Maharashtra has won the 2015 National Wheelchair Basketball Championship by beating Punjab.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here