Gokarn, who currently serves as director of research at the Indian arm of global thinktank Brookings Institution, will be one of the 24 governors appointed by countries or a set of countries to the IMF board. Gokarn has in the past served as chief economist of global rating agency Standard and Poor's (S&P) and head of Crisil's research and information business. He was one of the four Deputy Governors of the Reserve Bank of India along with Anand Sinha, K C Chakrabarty and H R Khan. He has been replaced by Urjit Patel in January 2013.
- Full Form : International Monetary Fund
- Formed on : 27th December 1945
- Headquarters : Washington
- Member Countries :
- Founding Members : 29 Countries
- Total Members : 188
- Managing Director : Christine Lagarde