- Australia and China today inked a deal to share information about sea ice conditions around Antarctica for better navigation and shipping in the Earths southernmost continent.
- The agreement was signed between China's National Marine Environment Forecasting Centre and Australia'ss Antarctic Climate and Ecosystems Cooperative Research Centre (CRC) in Hobart city.
- In a recently released report, the World Bank has said that the Climate change could push more than 100 million people into extreme poverty by 2030 by disrupting agriculture and fueling the spread of malaria and other diseases.
- Doing its share as part of the global effort to tackle climate change, India is going to anchor a global solar alliance, International Agency for Solar Technologies and Applications (INSTA), which will bring together 122 solar resource rich countries all located between the Tropic of Cancer and Capricorn.
- Today (9th November) is National Legal Services Day.
- This day was first started by the Supreme Court in the year 1995 all across the India to offer help and support to the weaker and poor group of sections of people (women, disabled persons, Scheduled Tribes, children, Scheduled Castes, human trafficking victims as well as natural calamities victims).
- Minister of Law and Justice - D. V. Sadananda Gowda
- The 19th Edition of the International Children’s Film Festival will be held from 14th November 2015 at Hyderabad.
- ‘Happy Mothers Day’ a feature film by Children’s Film Society India (CFSI) directed by Anjali Shukla will be the opening film of the Festival.
- The Winter Session of Parliament will commence from 26th November to 23rd of December 2015.
Science & Technology
- India today test-fired its nuclear-capable strategic ballistic missile Agni-IV, from the Integrated Test Range at Abdul Kalam Island in the Odisha coast.
- The indigenously developed surface-to-surface Agni-IV missile is a two-stage weapon system and is capable of hitting a target at a distance of 4,000 kilometers.
- It is 20 metres long and weighs 17 tonnes.
People in News
- Former BCCI President N Srinivasan has been removed from his post as ICC chairman.
- He will be replaced by current BCCI President Shashank Manohar.
- Ravi Shastri has also been removed from the IPL governing council due to conflict of interest.
- Rajeev Shukla has been retained as IPL Chairman.
Business & Economy
- The Central Government today approved Rs 2,100 crore funds under the National Disaster Relief Fund for Karnataka and Gujarat, which recently faced drought and floods respectively.
- With relatively robust growth prospects, the Indian economy is expected to expand by 7.2 per cent this fiscal but difficulty in passing key structural reforms and large non-performing loans are holding it back, says Paris-based think tank OECD.
- 4 Public Sector Banks got New CEOs
- Indian Bank : Mahesh Kumar Jain.
- He is currently working as the executive director of Indian Bank. He has been elevated as Managing Director & CEO of the bank. He has been appointed for a period of three years.
- Andhra Bank : Suresh N Patel.
- Prior to this appointment, Patel was an executive director at Oriental Bank of Commerce (OBC).
- UCO Bank : Ravi Krishan Takkar.
- He was executive director at Dena Bank. He has now been appointed as Managing Director & CEO of UCO Bank for a period of three years.
- Corporation Bank : Jai Kumar Garg.
- He was the Executive Director of UCO Bank. He will assume charge on or after February 1 next year.
- Iran has appointed its first woman ambassador since the 1979 Islamic revolution, naming foreign ministry spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham to head its embassy in Malaysia.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here