- The government is planning to set up a South Asian Regional Intelligence Coordination centre to curb "illicit" financial flow, and once it is operational, it will allow South Asian countries to connect with other countries.
- This platform will initially comprise the founding members - Bangladesh, Bhutan, Myanmar, Maldives, Nepal and Sri Lanka, besides India - and later, it would be opened to inclusion of other countries or international organisation as decided by the founding members, based on shared concerns.
- India and Indonesia today signed two agreements in the fields of renewable energy and culture and discussed possibilities of expanding cooperation in counter-terrorism and defence.
- India's Vice President - Hamid Ansari
- In order to protect the endangered Olive Ridley sea turtles that arrive during winters for nesting, the Odisha government imposed a seven-month ban on fishing along the coast.
- The ban will be in force from November 1 to May 31, 2016.
- The endangered Olive Ridley turtles arrive every year during winters for mass nesting in Rushikulya river mouth and Gahirmatha marine sanctuary.
- Note : The restriction has been imposed as per Odisha Marine Fishing Act (OMFA).
- The Delhi Metro has become the first metro service in the country to be certified with the prestigious International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO) rating for efficient energy management.
- Brijlal Mohan (92), Founder and Chairman of Hero MotoCorp and a doyen of the Indian two-wheeler industry, passed away.
- He started his career by setting up a small shop in Amritsar in 1945 with his three brothers to sell bicycle parts.
- Today, Hero MotoCorp is world's largest manufacturer of two-wheelers, making about 6.5-million units from multiple locations in India.
People in News
- Odisha’s first Guinness World Records holder Keshab Swain, famous for creating several national and international records in Green Coconut breaking with elbow, head and knee, today broke his own Guinness world record by smashing 92 green coconuts with his elbow within 60 seconds.
- Note : His earlier record was of 85 green coconuts.
Business & Economy
- In the annual 2015 Prosperity Index by London-based international think tank Legatum Institute, Norway stood at the top position. Singapore topped in Asian region.
- Top 10 Territories in the list
- Norway (Score - 3.504)
- Switzerland (Score - 3.337)
- Denmark (Score - 3.272)
- New Zealand (Score - 3.246)
- Sweden (Score - 3.224)
- Canada (Score - 3.186)
- Australia (Score - 3.088)
- Netherlands (Score - 3.046)
- Finland (Score - 3.013)
- Ireland (Score - 2.974)
- Captain Krishna Swaminathan today assumed charge as the second Commanding Officer of INS Vikramaditya, Indian Navy's formidable aircraft carrier.
- The ship, commissioned at Severodvinsk in Russia on November 16, 2013 had been commanded by Captain Suraj Berry.
- Poland's Agnieszka Radwanska beat former Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova in three sets to win her first WTA Finals title in Singapore.
- Note : In the doubles event, Sania Mirza (India) along with Martina Hingis (Switzerland) claimed a ninth title by beating Spain's Garbine Muguruza and Carla Suarez Navarro.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here