Science & Technology
- 10th East Asia Summit.
- The 10th East Asia Summit was held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia during 21st and 22nd November 2015.
- Important Points to Note :
- The East Asia Summit is an annual meeting of national leaders from the East Asian region and adjoining countries.
- The first summit was held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on 14 December 2005.
- Initially 16 countries of East Asian and South East Asian region were members.
- The current Membership expanded to 18 countries including the United States and Russia at the Sixth EAS in 2011.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the Summit today's morning.
- Regional security, extremism and communicable diseases were high on agenda.
- Bangladesh today hanged two top opposition leaders from Jamaat-e-Islami and Bangladesh Nationalist Party hanged for war crimes during 1971 Liberation war against Pakistan.
- India has improved its ranking to 108th position among 145 countries in the Global Gender Gap Index (GGGI).
- This index was prepared by the World Economic Forum (WEF).
- Iceland has topped the list followed by Norway and Finland at second and third spots, respectively.
- Top 10 Countries in Global Gender Gap Index.
- New Zealand
Science & Technology
- India today test-fired its indigenously developed supersonic interceptor missile from the Abdul Kalam Island off the Odisha coast.
- The interceptor, known as Advanced Air Defence (AAD) missile, has been developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and is capable of destroying any incoming ballistic missile.
- ASEAN countries today decided to form ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) to facilitate free flow of goods, capital and skilled labour in region.
- The AEC envisages a single market with a free flow of goods, capital and skilled labour in the region.
- It will integrate Southeast Asia's diverse economies, a region with 620 million people and a combined gross domestic product of USD 2.4 trillion.
Awards & Honors
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi today announced that the Indian Cultural Centre in Kuala Lumpur will be named after freedom fighter and commander of the Indian National Army Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose.
- Tennis champion-turned Hollywood filmmaker Ashok Amritraj was awarded with an honorary doctorate of Arts by the University of East London.
- He was honoured for promoting talented moviemakers from across the world, including India.
- Prameela Sashidharan of Kerala became 1st BJP member ever to head an urban municipal body in the State.
- India's most successful cueist Pankaj Advani added another feather in his cap by winning the IBSF World Snooker Championship in Egypt.
- Important Note : This is his 15th World Title.
- India lift the 8th Men's Junior Asia Hockey Cup today, by beating Pakistan 6 goals to 2 in the finals at Kuantan in Malaysia.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here