Awards & Honors
- Today (20th November) is Universal Children's Day.
- This day First proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly in 1954.
- This day is observed to promote the objectives outlined in the Charter and for the welfare of children.
- This year's theme : Stop Violence Against Children
- India and China have agreed to form a Ministerial-level mechanism to step up cooperation and coordination on a host of security-related issues, including cross-border terrorism, security and law enforcement, trans-border crimes, cyber crimes and drug trafficking.
- This mechanism will be headed by the Home Ministers of both the countries.
- The mechanism would be followed by a comprehensive Memorandum of Understanding on security-related issues and will become operational during Guo's visit to India next year.
- The mechanism would be followed by a comprehensive Memorandum of Understanding on security-related issues and will become operational during Chinese Interior Minister Guo Shengkun's visit to India next year.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi leaves on two-nation 5 day visit to Malaysia and Singapore.
- During this visit, he will attend ASEAN- India and East Asia Summits in Kuala Lumpur.
- India will hold the BRICS Chairmanship from 1st February to 31 December 2016.
- 46th International Film Festival of India (IFFI) started in Goa.
- This festival will be held from 20th t 30th November 2015.
- Important Points to Note :
- This is one of the most significant film festivals in Asia.
- This festival was founded in the year 1952.
- The festival is conducted jointly by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Directorate of Film Festivals and the government of Goa
- This year's Highlights
- Anil Kapoor is the chief guest of this festival.
- Shekhar Kapur is the head of the jury.
- The Man Who Knew Infinity' written and directed by Matthew Brown, will be the opening film of International Film Festival of this year at Goa.
- Argentina’s Oscar entry and this year’s biggest Argentinean box office hit - 'The Clan' (Directed by Pablo Trapero), will be the closing film of the festival.
- 'The Danish Girl' will be the midfest film.
- The Kingdom of Spain will be the focus country of IFFI 2015.
- North Eastern cinema will be the highlight in the category Indian Panorama.
- IFFI 2015 will introduce a new segment, First Cut, to recognize the young talent in the field of cinema.
- The 2nd World Congress for Disaster Management was started in Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh.
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N. Chandrababu Naidu inaugurated the event and the event is scheduled to continue until November 22.
- Union Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu and Union Minister of State for Home and Disaster Management Kiren Rijiju attended the event to express their views.
- The Disaster Management Infrastructure and Control Society is organising the congress along with the Andhra Pradesh government.
- Note : The first congress was held in Hyderabad in the year 2008.
Awards & Honors
- This year's (2015) Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development will be awarded to the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).
- The prestigious award is being given to the Office of UNHCR in recognition of its "immense contributions" in assisting millions of refugees who have fled their houses and for working under difficult circumstances to bring about changes to reduce the flow of refugees.
- This prize carries a cash award of Rs. 25 lakh and a citation.
- It was first awarded in 1986.
- About UNHCR :
- Established on : 14th December 1950
- Head : António Guterres
- Parental Organization : United Nations
Science & Technology
- US regulators have given the go-ahead to genetically modified Salmon (a type of Fish), making it the first GM animal destined for human consumption.
- The Food and Drug Administration said it had given approval on the grounds that "food from the fish is safe to eat".
- The biotech company behind the fish, AquaBounty, first submitted its application almost 20 years ago.
- Former Gujarat Governor and Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) Ram Krishna Trivedi (94) passed away.
- He served as the Chief Election Commissioner from 18 June 1982 to 31 December 1985.
- He was the first person to introduce the voter ID cards in Indian Elections.
- He served Gujarat as its Governor from 26 February 1986 to 2 May 1990.
- Nitish Kumar sworn-in as the Chief Minister of Bihar for the fifth term.
- Lalu Prasad's son Tejaswi Yadav appointed Deputy Chief Minister of Bihar.
- Senior diplomat Vijay Keshav Gokhale, currently India’s Ambassador to Germany, has been appointed as the Ambassador to China to replace Ashok Kantha, whose term will end in early January.
- Indian-American Swati Dandekar has been nominated as Executive Director to Asian Development Bank by US President Barack Obama.
- The top US position holds ambassadorial rank in US administration.
Note : Current affairs of 21st November will be available soon.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here