People in News
- Today is World Diabetes Day.
- This day was introduced in 1991 by the International Diabetes Federation and the World Health Organization in response to the alarming rise of diabetes around the world.
- Theme of World Diabetes Day from 2014 to 2016 : Healthy living and diabetes
- Theme of World Diabetes Day from 2009 to 2013 : Education and prevention
- At least 128 people have been killed in multiple shootings in Paris, and explosions outside the national stadium - Stade de France.
- Paris President Francois Hollande declares a state of emergency; orders all France's borders closed.
- The Islamic State claimed responsibility for these catastrophic attacks in the French capital, calling them “the first of the storm” and mocking France as a “capital of prostitution and obscenity,”.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi unveiled 12th century social reformer Basaveshwara's statue in London.
- PM Modi concludes his three day United Kingdom visit.
- 126th birth anniversary of 1st Prime Minister of the country Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru is being observed as Children's Day today.
- Union Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore inaugurated the 19th edition of ICFFI (International Children's Film Festival India) at Hyderabad.
- The inaugural film of this festival was ‘Happy Mother’s Day, an 108 minute CFSI production directed by Snjuli Shukla .
- The 21st edition of Kolkata International Film Festival (KIFF), India's second oldest film festival began at Kolkata today.
- This festival was inaugurated by Bollywood ActorAmitabh Bachchan.
- As many as 149 films by 137 directors from 61 countries will be screened across 12 venues in the week-long extravaganza organised by the West Bengal government. The fest concludes on November 21.
- President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurates 35th International Trade Fair at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi.
- Northeast India’s first exclusive hospital for elephants has been established at the Kaziranga National Park in Assam.
- It was inaugurated by Sir Evelyn de Rothschild who is founding patron of the UK-based charity Elephant Family.
People in News
- Nitish Kumar, who led the Grand Alliance to a victory in the assembly elections, was unanimously elected leader of the legislature party of the three-party grouping that includes the Janata Dal-United (JD-U), the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) and the Congress.
- He will take oath as the Chief Minister of Bihar for the third consecutive time on 20th November.
- Former RBI Deputy Governor Subir Gokarn was appointed as an Executive Director on the board of the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
- He will replace Rakesh Mohan, whose three year tenure will end by this month.
- Gokarn will represent India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Bhutan on the Washington-based IMF's Executive Board, which is responsible for conducting the day-to-day business of the multilateral institution.
- A Liberian teenager Abraham M Keita has won the prestigious International Children’s Peace Prize 2015.
- He was honored with this award for his extraordinary and peaceful fight for justice for child victims of physical or sexual violence, and for successfully campaigning for the Liberian parliament to adopt the Children’s Law.
- Russia provisionally suspended from International athletics including Olympic games for its alleged involvement in doping.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here