People in News
Science & Technology
- Today (13th November) is World Kindness Day.
- This day was introduced in 1998 by the World Kindness Movement a coalition of nations kindness NGOs, aiming for more kindness in the world.
- This day encourages individuals to overlook boundaries, race and religion.
- Bhutan Prime Minister Tshering Tobgay is on a 5-day visit to India.
- During this visit, he will attend the 'India Ideas Conclave' in Goa as Chief Guest.
- Britain announces support for India's claim for Permanent seat in UN Security Council.
- Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi's pro-democracy party wins a majority in Myanmar's historic polls.
- Pakistan and China today kicked off their ambitious 46 billion US Dollar China- Pakistan economic corridor (CPEC) with Beijing acquiring over 2,000 acres of land in restive Balochistan to develop the strategic Gwadar port.
- The two countries have signed a deal to acquire the usage rights to more than 2,000 acres of land for a Chinese company.
- Turkey will be hosting the G20 Leader's Summit which is going to be held on 15th and 16th November 2015 in its southern city of Antalya.
- Chaired by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, the summit will focus on the current state of the global economy, sustainable growth, development and climate change, investment, trade and energy.
- Participating leaders are also expected to discuss political issues such as global terrorism and the refugee crisis in addition to the economic agenda.
- Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley will embark on a two-day visit to United Arab Emirates (UAE) on 15th November, to impress on investors various attractive investment opportunities that India provides.
- President Pranab Mukherjee has given assent to Haryana's cow slaughter Bill which was passed by the state Assembly earlier this year, Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar said on Thursday.
- With the 'Gauvansh Sanrakshan and Gausamvardhan Bill' turning into a law, cow slaughter in Haryana will now attract a rigorous imprisonment ranging from three years to 10 years.
- Delhi government held its first-ever Yamuna Aarti at Kudesia Ghat today.
- The aim of the Aarti, is to showcase the cleaner and brighter side of the Yamuna and also promote its banks as a spiritual destination for visitors.
- Supreme Court rules that the right to maintenance of a Hindu widow is not a "mere formality" but a spiritual and moral right.
People in News
- Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed today hinted that his daughter Mehbooba Mufti could take over as chief minister of the state.
- Mehbooba is a Member of Parliament and president of People’s Democratic Party (PDP).
- Note : Speculations have been rife recently that in the third week of November, Mehbooba Mufti will take oath as chief minister as Mufti wants her to take over the reins of the state.
Science & Technology
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar today dedicated the Boeing P8I (Poseidon Eight India) Long Range Maritime Patrol aircraft to the nation at INS Rajali, Arakkonam, a naval air station.
- Important Note : India's long-range maritime snooping and anti-submarine warfare capabilities have received a huge boost with these Poseidon-8Is.
- Saina Nehwal storms into Women's singles semi-final of China Open Super Series Badminton.
- Tenniss player Sania Mirza and Rohan Bopanna have been selected under Target Olympic Podium (TOP) Scheme for financial assistance from National Sports Development Fund for training as part of preparation for Olympic 2016.
- Both the players have been allocated a budget of 60 Lakh rupees each for customized training.
- India finally tasted victory after five straight losses in their 2018 football World Cup qualifying campaign as they beat Guam by a solitary goal.
- Note : India are already out of contention for a final round berth for the 2018 World Cup but this win has put them in a good position to qualify for the 2019 Asian Cup.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here