Awards & Honors
Business & Economy
- The BRICS Ministers of Foreign Affairs held their regular meeting at New York.
- Ths meeting was chaired by India.
- In this meeting, the foreign ministers of Brics countries endorsed United Nations Security Council reforms saying it was necessary to make it "more representative and efficient" putting China and Russia publicly on the side for reorganisation.
- Participants in this Meeting :
- Indian External Affairs Minister : Sushma Swaraj
- Foreign Ministers of Russia : Sergey Lavrov of Russia
- Foreign Minister of China : Wang Yi
- Brazil's Minister of External Relations : Mauro Vieira
- (South Africa was represented by a deputy foreign minister)
- Important Note : India is going to host the Eighth Brics summit in the year 2016.
- Russia proposed a United Nations Security Council resolution on fighting terrorism.
- Deputy foreign minister : Mikhail Bogdanov
- The Russian military has launched airstrikes against Islamic State militant targets in Syria.
- This move was approved after a request from Syrian President Bashar Assad to Vladimir Putin, who has also expressed concern about the number of Russian extremists in the country.
- India's most modern missile destroyer INS Kochi inducted into the Navy.
- Naval warship INS Kochi, the stealth guided missile destroyers, was commissioned today by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar at the Naval Dockyard in Mumbai.
- INS Kochi is the second ship of the Kolkata-class (Project 15A) Guided Missile Destroyers.
- Designed by the Navy’s in-house organisation, Directorate of Naval Design, and constructed by Mazagon Dock Ship builders Ltd in Mumbai, the ship is christened after the vibrant port city of Kochi.
- The government today unveiled a framework that would rank engineering and management institutes taking into account peer perception, research activity and also inclusively through reservations.
- The ranking framework broadly covers all institutes both in government and private sectors, though participation is voluntary in nature, and the first ranking list would be released in early April next year.
- The framework for pharmacy, architecture and universities would be released within the next one month.
- HRD Minister : Smriti Irani
- The Uttar Pradesh government has announced that it is going to implement the Food Security Act in three phases.
- In the first phase, the scheme would be implemented in 24 districts, in the second 26 and in the third 25 districts would be covered.
- The scheme would benefit 15.21 crore population of the state.
- Under the scheme, the poor would be provided food grains at subsidised rates.
- Note : Tamil Nadu announced that it need one more year to implement the Act.
- 5 of 12 convicts in the July 2006 serial Mumbai train blasts were awarded death sentence by a special MCOCA court in Mumbai today, while the remaining 7 have been given life sentence.
- Nine years ago the serial bomb blasts that hit Mumbai suburban trains had killed 189 people and injured 800 others.
- The accused were found guilty of charges under IPC, Explosives Act, Unlawful Activities Prevention Act, Prevention of Damage to Public Property Act and Indian Railway Act and those under MCOCA. The court also found all the 12 accused guilty under Section 3 (1) (i) of MCOCA.
Awards & Honors
- Communications and IT Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad releases postage stamp on Dr B R Ambedkar.
- Note : The government is celebrating 125th birth anniversary of Dr Ambedkar this year.
- The objective of year long celebrations is to make the world aware about the life and the work of Dr. Babasaheb Ambekdar as a champion of the underprivileged.
Business & Economy
- India overtakes US and China as top destination for Foreign direct investment (FDI) in the first half of 2015; Moves up 16 positions to rank 55th on a global index of the world's most competitive economies.
- Government cuts natural gas prices by 16% to 4.24 US dollars per unit.
- Asian AirGun Championship 2015
- Heena Sidhu wins gold and Shweta Singh clinches silver in 10m Air Pistol event.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here