People in News
Science & Technology
- 3rd India-Africa Forum Summit begins in New Delhi today.
- Heads of States and Representatives of all 54 African countries are participating in it.
- This is one of the biggest gathering of African Nations outside Africa.
- The 4-day summit will address the key challenges faced by Africa, which includes food, health and environmental ecurity.
- India hopes to create conditions that stimulate trade and investment flows between India and African countries.
- Note : This will be the biggest summit that New Delhi will be hosting since the NAM summit of 1984.
- A strong earthquake measuring 7.5 rocks Pakistan and Afghanistan this afternoon killing at least 150 people.
- The earthquake also shook north India with tremors that lasted almost a minute.
- Today is National Day of Austria.
- On this day in the year 1955, Austria declared permanent neutrality after World War II and regained status as an independent and sovereign nation.
- About Austria
- President - Heinz Fischer
- Capital - Vienna
- Official language - German
- Currency - Euro
- The Vigilance Awareness Week is being observed from today (26th October) to 31st October, 2015.
- Theme of Vigilance Awareness Week 2015 : “Preventive Vigilance as a tool of Good Governance”.
- The Ministry of Law & Justice has notified that the Delhi High Court Amendment Act, 2015, which received the assent of the President on 10th August 2015, has been brought into force from today.
- This Act provides for enhancement of pecuniary jurisdiction of the District Courts of Delhi from Rs. 20 lakh to Rs. 2 crore.
- Note : The last revision of pecuniary jurisdiction of District Courts in Delhi was done in 2003, when it was raised from Rs. 5 lakh to Rs. 20 lakh.
- The NDRF, country's elite disaster mitigation combat force, has tied up with about 30 PSUs in order to develop mutual understanding and enhance capabilities to jointly tackle man-made or natural emergencies.
- NRDF - National Disaster Response Force
People in News
- Geeta, the deaf-mute Indian woman living in Pakistan after accidently crossing the border over a decade ago, arrived in India today.
- Underworld gangster Chota Rajan, one of India’s most wanted criminals who has been on the run for nearly two decades, has been arrested in Bali by Indonesian police today.
- Noted Bengali actor Pijush Ganguly, who was critically injured in an accident last week, passed away.
- Ganguly acted in several critically-acclaimed movies including Aparna Sen-directed Goynar Baksho and Srijit Mukherjee's Autograph.
- Irish-American star actress Maureen O’Hara passed away.
- She starred in the famous movies “The Hunchback of Notre Dame”, Miracle on the 34th Street, The Parent Trap, The Quiet Man opposite John Wayne.
Science & Technology
- A newly-installed tsunami early warning system siren was successfully tested in Mumbai today.
- The siren and a digital electronic board is part of a system for issuing early warning in case of a tsunami threat in the Indian Ocean region.
- In case of a threat, seven tsunami buoys with sensors will record the height and speed of waves and will alert the monitoring centre in Hyderabad.
- Abhishek Verma Makes History in Archery World Cup Final by becoming First Indian to Win Silver Medal in Compound
- Indian Archer Deepika Kumari has also won Silver medal at the Archery World Cup in Mexico city.
- This is her 4th Silver medal in 5 years.
- Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton won his third Formula 1 World Championship to become only the second British driver after Sir Jackie Stewart to achieve the feat.
Important : Download Complete Banking Awareness Quick Reference guide for IBPS PO V from here
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here