- Today (1st October) is World Vegetarian Day.
- It is a day of celebration established by the North American Vegetarian Society in 1977 and endorsed by the International Vegetarian Union in 1978, To promote the joy, compassion and life-enhancing possibilities of vegetarianism."
- Today (1st October) is International Day of Older Persons.
- This year (2015) observes the celebration of the 25th anniversary of International Day of Older Persons (IDOP).
- Themes of International Day of Older Persons
- 2011 : The Growing Opportunities & Challenges of Global Ageing
- 2012 : Longevity: Shaping the Future
- 2013 : The future we want: what older persons are saying
- 2014 : Leaving No One Behind: Promoting a Society for All
- 2015 : Sustainability and Age Inclusiveness in the Urban Environment
- The United Nations Human Rights Council in Geneva has adopted a consensus resolution on accountability for the alleged human rights violations during the Sri Lankan civil war.
- Sponsored by the U.S., the U.K. and other countries, including Sri Lanka, the resolution called upon Colombo to establish a credible judicial process, with the participation of Commonwealth and other foreign judges, defence lawyers and authorised prosecutors and investigators, to go into the alleged rights abuses.
- India welcomed this move.
- The election commission has banned the publication and dissemination of exit polls of any kind from October 12, the first phase of Bihar assembly elections, till November 5 when the last phase of the polling ends.
- Chief Election Commissioner of India : Nasim Zaidi
- Govt has received an amount of 3,770 crore rupees from 638 declarations under the onetime black money compliance window which was closed yesterday.
- The compliance window opened on 1st July, 2015 and was till 30th of September 2015.
- Black Money (Undisclosed Foreign Income and Assets) and Imposition of Tax Act, 2015 (the Act) has been enacted to deal with the menace of black money stashed abroad.
- Tax department will initiate action against those who have not disclosed their Black Money and assets stashed abroad.
- Revenue Secretary : Dr. Hasmukh Adhia
- The 67th Assam Police day was celebrated in Guwahati.
- The Central Government has notified 'Mid Day Meal Rules, 2015' under the National Food Security Act.
- A statement issued by the HRD Ministry announced that the National Food Security Act, 2013 (NFSA, 2013) contains provisions related to welfare schemes including Mid Day Meal Scheme.
- It further stated that in accordance with the provisions of the Act, the HRD Ministry has finalised the MDM Rules after consultation with states and other related central ministries.
- The rules will be known as Mid-Day Day Meal Rules, 2015 and will be in effect from the date of notification in the Gazette of India.
Awards & Honors
- Kartik Chandran, an Indian-American associate professor of earth and environmental engineering at Columbia Engineering, has been named a 2015 MacArthur Fellow for his work in “transforming wastewater from a pollutant requiring disposal to a resource for useful products, such as commodity chemicals, energy sources, and fertilizers".
Science & Technology
- China has successfully launched 20th new generation satellite which has among others a hydrogen atomic clock, moving a step closer to build its own Global Positioning System to compete with the US-operated GPS.
- It was the 20th satellite for the BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (BDS), and puts China one step closer to providing an alternative to the US-operated GPS, it said.
- For the first time the satellite featured a hydrogen atomic clock.
- Named after the Chinese term for the plough or the Big Dipper constellation, the Beidou project was formally launched in 1994, some 20 years after GPS.
- Meghalaya Governor, V. Shanmuganathan, was sworn in as the 17th Governor of Manipur.
- Shanmuganathan has been given additional charge of Manipur after the demise of incumbent Syed Ahmed on Sunday.
- About Manipur
- Established on : 21st January 1972
- Capital : Imphal
- Official language : Meeteilon
- Total Districts : 9
- Chief Minister : Okram Ibobi Singh
Business & Economy
- In a big jump, India has moved up 16 positions to rank 55th on a global index of the world's most competitive economies.
- Switzerland has retained its top position for seventh year in a row and is followed by Singapore, the US, Germany and the Netherlands in the top-five.
- These are followed by Japan, Hong Kong, Finland, Sweden and the UK in the top-ten.
- Minister of State (I/C) for Youth affairs and Sports Sarbananda Sonowal conferred Arjuna Award 2015 to M.R. Poovamma (Athletics) and Babita Kumari (Wrestling).
- Note : M.R. Poovamma and Babita Kumari could not receive the Arjuna Award from President of India on 29August 2015 as both of them were abroad due to professional commitments.
- Former world number one Heena Sidhu won the Gold medal in women's 10 meter air pistol event at the 8th Asian Air Gun Championships in New Delhi.
- India’s Shweta Singh won the silver medal.
- Korean shooter Seon A Kim took the bronze.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here