- Today (15th October) is the International Day of Rural Women.
- This day is observed to recognize women’s often forgotten contributions to society and the economy.
- President Pranab Mukherjee, who is in Jerusalem on the final leg of his tri-nation tour to West Asia, held a meeting with his Israeli counterpart Reuven Rivlin.
- Important Note : Pranab Mukherjee became first Indian President to address Israeli Parliament Knesset.
- The Navies of India, United States and Japan began the five-day 'Malabar exercise 2015' on the Eastern coast, in which several warships, aircraft carriers and fast attack submarine would participate.
- India and Israel have signed two agreements. They are,
- A cultural exchange programme for 2015-2018
- The amendment to the protocol on Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement.
- Important Note : The pact on tax avoidance will help plug loopholes in tax evasion and ensure that the Indian or Israeli companies are taxed only where they have permanent establishments.
- People's President, Missile Man APJ Abdul Kalam's 84th Birth Anniversary today.
- PM Narendra Modi has released commemorative postage stamps (worth Rs. 5) on him.
- The Prime Minister also announced that a memorial for Dr Kalam would be built at Rameswaram, to inspire future generations.
Business & Economy
- India ranked as the most attractive investment destination in the world for the next three years.
- This was revealed in a survey released by Global consultancy firm, Ernst and Young.
- 32% of the business leaders from global corporations polled for the survey, according to which India is the most attractive investment destination in the world, followed by China, Southeast Asia and Brazil.
Awards & Honors
- Indian Nobel laureate Kailash Satyarthi selected for the prestigious Harvard Humanitarian of the Year Award 2015.
- The award is given by the University annually to an individual whose works and deeds have served to improve the quality of lives and inspired people to greater heights.
- Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO), India’s military research and development organization, has decided to rename its missile complex in Hyderabad after former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, bestowing an honour to one of the country’s most popular scientists.
- Note : It is at this complex that Kalam, began his career as a scientist; he worked there for nearly two decades.
- Defence minister : Manohar Parrikar
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has been chosen as 'Finance Minister of the Year, Asia' by London-based publication Emerging Markets.
- Zaheer Khan, one of India's greatest fast bowlers has announced his retirement from international and first-class cricket.
- He will, however, continue to play in the IPL for one more season.
- Important Note : With 610 international wickets, Zaheer finishes as one of India's most successful bowlers, being the fourth-highest wicket-taker for India across formats.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here