People in News
- Today is International Day for Disaster Reduction.
- This day was started in 1989 with the approval by the United Nations General Assembly.
- The UN General Assembly sees International Day as a way to promote a global culture of disaster reduction, including disaster prevention, mitigation and preparedness.
- This day was originally celebrated on the second Wednesday of October, the UN General Assembly decided in 2009 to designate October 13th as the date to celebrate IDDR.
- Themes of International Day for Disaster Reduction
- President Pranab Mukherjee, who is on a maiden visit to Palestine, has announced Five projects worth 17.9 million US dollars including a technology park at Ramallah.
- In addition, a grant of five million US Dollars has also been given to Palestine as Budgetary assistance.
- After leaving Palestine, our President reached Israel.
- This is the first visit by an Indian Head of State
- A number of MoUs will be signed with Israel, including in the areas of renewable energy, double taxation avoidance, culture exchange programme and educational field.
- Iran's parliament approved the country's nuclear deal with world powers today, paving the way for the historic agreement curbing Tehran's atomic programme to take effect and for sanctions to end.
- West Bengal Govt will give LTC facility to visit foreign countries to its employees.
- Employees can visit to neighboring Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Myanmar, Srilanka, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Nepal, Bhutan and Maldives under LTC facility once in ten years.
- The Government will bear air fare in economy class for availing LTC in foreign countries.
- LTC - Leave Travel Concession
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar today inaugurated the three-day Indian Air Force Commanders' Conference in New Delhi.
- Senior commanders of air force, representatives from state-run aircraft manufacturer HAL, Bharat Dynamics Limited and Ordnance Factory Board are taking part in the conference.
- The conference is likely to discuss various issues including drafting of women as fighter pilots, serviceability issues plaguing the force, and induction of fighter aircrafts like LCA Tejas and Rafale.
People in News
- Eminent Punjabi writer Dalip Kaur Tiwana announced that she will return her Padma Shri in protest against the rising communal tension in the country.
- Indian IT giant Infosys CFO and EVP Rajiv Bansal has resigned.
- The company has named Ranganath Mavinakere as the new CFO.
- India bags more than two dozen gold medals on the first day of 2015 Commonwealth Youth Weightlifting Championships.
Read more Daily Current Affairs updates from here