- Today (10th October) is World Mental Health Day.
- This day was first celebrated in 1992 at the initiative of the World Federation for Mental Health, a global mental health organization with members and contacts in more than 150 countries.
- The objective of this day is to raise awareness of mental health issues around the world and mobilizing efforts in support of mental health.
- According to estimates, at least 5% of the population in India live with a mental illness. However, nearly half of those with severe mental disease go without treatment.
- Depression, the most prevalent form of mental illness, is estimated to exist in 3 out of every 100 in urban areas like Mumbai & Delhi.
- Today (10th October) is Fiji Day (the anniversary of Fiji's independence from British colonial rule in 1970).
- About Fiji
- Capital : Suva
- President : Epeli Nailatikau
- Prime Minister : Frank Bainimarama
- Currency : Fijian dollar
- Official languages : English, Fijian, Fiji Hindi
- External affairs minister Sushma Swaraj is on a Two-day visit to Male, during which, she along with her Maldivian counterpart Dunya Maumoon will co-chair eeting of the India-Maldives Joint Commission.
- Swaraj will also call on President Abdulla Yameen and hold talks with the ministers of defence, economic development and health in the Maldivian capital.
- Finance minister Arun Jaitley attended the G-20 finance ministers meeting at Lima in Peru.
- Finance ministers of the G-20 countries, including India, have endorsed the final detailed action plan for putting in place a coherent and transparent global tax regime to curb artificial profit-shifting ways.
- Once implemented, the steps would bolster India's efforts to prevent tax evasion and illegal fund flows.
- President Pranab Mukherjee leaves on a Six-day visit to Jordan, Palestine and Israel today's morning.
- Note : Pranab Mukherjee became the first Head of Indian State to visit the two nations Israel and Palestine.
- India and South American nation Ecuador signed an agreement to set up a Joint Economic and Trade Committee (JETCO) to strengthen the trade relations between the countries.
- JETCO was signed with an aim to further improve, deepen and strengthen the existing trade relationship.
- The JETCO will function as the primary forum for discussion and other promotional activities on trade and investment issues and will be meeting once in every two years.
- The first meeting of the JETCO is proposed to be held early next year in India.
- Ambassador of Ecuador to India : Mentor Villagomez
- Commerce Secretary : Rita Teotia.
Business & Economy
- Indirect Tax Revenue (Provisional) collections have increased from Rs 46,224 crore in September 2014 to Rs. 61,284 crore during September- 2015.
- An increase of 32.6% has been registered during September - 2015 over the corresponding period in the previous year.
- This is an achievement of 50.6% of the target fixed for BE 2015-16.
- Development banks including the World Bank have pledged an additional $15 billion a year by 2020 to fight climate change, taking the world closer to the clutch target of USD 100 billion.
- Note : The World Bank announced it would increase climate financing from 21 per cent of its total funding to 28 per cent in 2020.
Awards & Honors
- One of India's greatest music composer A. R. Rahman has been named the cultural ambassador of Seychelles.
People in News
- Nepal Prime Minister Sushil Koirala resigned ahead of the election for the post on 11th October.
- Mr Koirala, president of the largest party, Nepali Congress, was elected in February 2014.
- Under his leadership, Nepal successfully promulgated a new constitution.
- The Indo-Swiss pair of Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis has won the 2015 Women’s Doubles Title of China Open.
- This is their Eighth trophy of the season and Fourth in a row.
Important : Download Quick Review of September 2015 (Pdf File) from here